Cal Maritime Vision and Mission
Cal Maritime's vision provides a compelling conceptual image of the future we will create for this institution. This statement describes how we will build Cal Maritime in the years to come:
California Maritime Academy will be a leading educational institution, recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, and policy of the transportation and related industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond.
We will maintain our commitment to quality instruction, research, and service in maritime education. From this foundation we will develop further to become a leader in engineering, science, and technology for the transportation industry. We believe our strength as an institution lies in maintaining focused areas of excellence, as distinguished from engaging in programmatic proliferation which our resource base cannot support.
The mission for Cal Maritime defines our purposes as an organization. Our educational community subscribes to the following statement of what we will do. Our mission is to:
- Provide each student with a college education combining intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness.
- Provide the highest quality licensed officers and other personnel for the merchant marine and national maritime industries.
- Provide continuing education opportunities for those in the transportation and related industries.
- Be an information and technology resource center for the transportation and related industries.
Beliefs and Values
California Maritime Academy is defined, in part, by the system of beliefs that make us unique as an institution of higher education. They are:
- Experiential Learning
- Ethics Development, both Personal and Professional
- Small Residential Campus Environment
- Student Centered Learning
- Professional Orientation
- Having a Niche to Focus on in Higher Education
- Campus Civility and Collegiality
- Diverse Living/Learning Community
Values influence how we make and carry out decisions, and how we interact with our internal and external constituencies. At Cal Maritime they are: