ELM/EPT Placement Tests
Students who want to take their ELM or EPT test on the Cal Maritime campus in Vallejo, CA or any other CSU campus should click here to register.
System-wide Placement Test Requirements
The California State University requires each entering undergraduate, except those who qualify for an exemption, to take the CSU Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) examination and the CSU English Placement Test (EPT) prior to enrollment.
These placement tests are not a condition for admission to the CSU, but they are a condition of enrollment. They are designed to identify entering students who may need additional support in acquiring basic English and Mathematics skills necessary to succeed in CSU baccalaureate level courses.
For those who have taken the ELM and EPT, this is what each score means:
0-49 - Early Start Program (summer remediation) required
50 and above - no remediation required
0-137 - Early Start Program (summer remediation) required
138-146 - remediation required by beginning of sophomore year
147-and above - no remediation required
Undergraduate students who do not demonstrate college-level skills both in English and in mathematics by the end of the summer will be placed in appropriate proficiency preparation programs and activities during the first term of their enrollment. Students placed in proficiency preparation programs in either English or Mathematics must complete all proficiency requirements in their first year of enrollment. Failure to do so may result in denial of enrollment for future terms.
- EPT (English) test exemptions
- ELM (Math) test exemptions
- Testing sites and schedules throughout California
- Testing options for out-of-state students
- Register to take the tests here at Cal Maritime's Vallejo campus or any other CSU Campus
- Access the full 2011 ELM / EPT Bulletin (.pdf)
- Summer Courses (on-line and on-campus) to satisfy proficiency for those with low ELM / EPT scores and no other exemptions apply.