English Placement Test (EPT)
Local students who want to take their EPT test on the Cal Maritime campus in Vallejo, CA should click here to register
You are exempt from EPT and the Early Start Program if you can present proof of one of the following:
- Placement in the "Ready for College" category on the Early Assessment Program (EAP) English taken in conjunction with the 11th grade California Standards Test in English Language Arts
- A score of 500 or above on the critical reading section of the "Old" SAT
- A score of 550 or above on the reading section of the "New" SAT
- A score of 22 or above on the ACT English Test
- A score of 3, 4 or 5 on either the Language and Composition or Literature and Composition examination of the College Board Advanced Placement Program
- Completion and transfer to the CSU of a college course that satisfies the CSU General Education Requirement in English Composition, provided such a course was completed with a grade of C or better
The EPT is optional (but California residents must still participate in the Early Start Program) if you have:
- A Score of 460-490 on critical reading section of the "Old" SAT
- The score needed on the reading section of the "Old" SAT will be coming in January
- A Score of 19-21 on the ACT English Test
- Placement in the "Conditionally Ready for College English" category on the Early Assessment Program (EAP)
Where will the tests be given?
- You can take the EPT/ELM at any of the CSU Campuses.
- If you wish to test at another CSU campus, please follow the procedures stated in the registration bulletin on the Web at www.ets.org/csu/index.html.
- If you live outside the state of California, been accepted to a CSU campus, and need to test in your state, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (925)808-2142. Out of state testing is arranged for the 2nd week of the month. There is a fee of $50 for testing outside of California.
- If you wish to register for any EPT or ELM testing date at any CSU campus site, click here.
- If you have a disability and require special arrangements for taking the tests, be sure to contact the campus Test Office or Disabled Student Services before the published registration deadline. The EPT and ELM are available in Braille, large-print, and cassette editions.
- If your religious convictions prevent you from taking the EPT and/or ELM on the scheduled test dates, you must request special arrangements by including a letter on official letterhead from an appropriate religious authority with your registration form.
Questions or Concerns or More Information
- Call CSU Maritime Academy's Testing Office (707) 654-1330 with general questions or concerns.
- For questions about EPT/ELM policies and procedures that the testing office cannot handle, you can contact ETS at (925)808-2142 or visit ELM/EPT on-line at www.ets.org.
Click here to register for any EPT/ELM testing date and any CSU campus site.