A Campus of the California State University


Web Content Display Web Content Display



As a Veteran, can some exceptions be made for me regarding admission deadlines and academic requirements for admission?

Cal Maritime has some flexibility regarding academic requirements for entrance and admission deadlines for military veterans. This is part of the CSU system-wide effort to prioritize educating those who have given their service to the United States.  If you need such flexibility, please contact the Cal Maritime Admission Office using the methods along the right-hand column and identify yourself as a military veteran.  We will do our best to work with you to achieve your educational goals as quickly as possible.

Note - While the Admission Office can waive certain admission requirements and deadlines, all Veterans must pass (with a grade of at least C-) two courses: college-level English and college-level math such as college algebra by the end of the Spring semester prior to enrollment. Also, Cal Maritime degrees requiring the U.S. Coast Guard License (Marine Transportation, Marine Engineering Technology and the licensed version of Mechanical Engineering) will take no less than four years to complete after entering Cal Maritime regardless of the number of transfer units or other advanced credit a student may be granted.

"Where can I find out about the CSU's 'Troops to College' Initiative and how it can benefit me?"

Visit the CSU Veterans web site by clicking here.

"What is the next available entry term?"

Fall 2016 for these majors

"When can I apply for Fall 2016?"

Fall 2016 - The application period will be October 1, 2015 through November 30, 2015.

"How can I apply?"

Apply online at www.csumentor.edu. There is a $55.00 application fee required when you submit the online application.

"What items are required for your office to make an admission decision?"

A completed online application, the $55.00 application fee, and all official high school and college transcripts.

"How can I determine if I qualify for admission?"

You will be evaluated as a First-Time Freshman or Transfer applicant. To find qualifications for those two categories, find those words on the left under "I want to apply."


Veteran's Resources

Click here for upcoming changes to the Post-9/11 GI-Bill
The California Maritime Academy is approved by the State of California as a training facility for veterans applying for VA educational benefits.  The Student Records Office (located in the Faculty Office Building) provides Enrollment Certification services to new and currently enrolled veterans and dependents who are eligible for the GI Bill. 

Department of Veterans Affairs Information

For up-to-date information regarding VA Educational Benefits, veterans and dependents of veterans are encouraged to visit the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill Website at www.gibill.va.gov.  Students who want to apply for VA Educational Benefits, or who need to request a change in program or place of training, can complete the required VA forms directly online at the GI Bill Website using the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) website. 
  • Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits (veteran)
  • Form 22-5490 Application for VA Education Benefits (dependent)
  • Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program/Place of Training (veteran)
  • Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program/Place of Training (dependent)
For a full listing of VA Educational Forms, click here.

California Fee Waiver

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or a California Community College.  Further information can be found at California Department of Veterans Affairs.  To obtain complete eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office.

Applying for VA Benefits at Cal Maritime

Once a student becomes eligible (approved) to receive VA Educational Benefits, the following items should be submitted to the Student Records Office to start the Enrollment Certification process:

For further information regarding VA Educational Benefits, please contact the Registrar's Office at 707/654-1200 or 707/654-1203, or email registrar@csum.edu