Web Content Display Web Content Display


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do when a student is injured on campus?

Call Public Safety at 1111 or call 911 for emergency medical evaluation. Students may seek first aid from the Student Health Center.

A state employee rented a car and was involved in an automobile accident. Does Risk Management adjust the claim?

No. If the rental car was rented from one of the automobile rental agencies under contract with the state the rental company will assume responsibility for any damage to their vehicle and provide the first $500,000 in liability insurance coverage. Report the accident to the rental car company, turn in the key, and walk away. You also need to file a Vehicle Accident Report Form (Std. 270) when you return to campus.
It should be noted that third party liability insurance coverage and indemnification is provided by the rental agency EXCEPT when the loss or damage is caused by one or more of the following:
·      Operation of the vehicle by a driver who contributed to the accident while (and has been adjudged by the courts to have been) under the influence of alcohol (in excess of the legal limits) or any illegal non-prescription drug.
·         Operation or use of the vehicle for any intentionally illegal purposes.
·    If the rental vehicle was rented from a non-state contracted agency the employee's personal auto insurance is the primary coverage and it may not include comprehensive and collision coverage for the rental vehicle.  

A state employee uses a private vehicle on state business and is involved in an automobile accident. Does Risk Management adjust the claim?

No. The employee makes a claim with his auto insurance carrier. The employee's personal auto insurance is the primary coverage and it may not include comprehensive and collision coverage for the rental vehicle.  The only insurance the State provides is secondary liability insurance over and above the maximum coverage carried by the vehicle owner.
Are students on campus covered by University insurance?
No. There is no insurance provided for incidents on campus (including in the classroom or laboratory activities) resulting in personal injury or property damage, which would provide either medical services or reimbursement. 
What should I do when there is an earthquake or other local disaster?
Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to review information contained in the campus Emergency Management Plan that addresses earthquakes and other disasters. 
How do I file a claim for costs associated with injury to myself or damage to my personal property on campus?
The University as a State entity manages all claims for reimbursement of bodily injury or property damages through processes administered by the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board. Instructions and claim forms are available online. There is a $25.00 filing fee for all claims
Does the University provide insurance for students that have been placed with outside agencies for various types of student placements (i.e. internships, service learning...)?
There are insurance programs in place to cover students in a variety of placements provided a written agreement is in place.  Please contact our office for additional details.


Types of Insurance - Basic Definitions

Business (or commercial) Automobile - provides coverage for business automobiles regardless of whether they are owned, leased, hired or borrowed.
Employer Liability / Workers Compensation Insurance - provides four types of benefits for job related injuries or disease. They are medical care, disability, death, and rehabilitation.
Environmental Impairment (pollution) - covers negligent acts and/or omissions by the individual or organization resulting in damage to the environment.
Equipment Floater - covers equipment that moves from location to location from perils of nature or collision.
Errors and Omissions - coverage for various professions that require protection of negligent acts and/or omissions resulting in bodily injury, personal injury, and/or property damage liability to a client.  Typically architects are required to carry Errors and Omissions.
Excess Insurance - coverage above the primary amount of insurance coverage.
Fidelity Bond - coverage that guarantees that the insurance company will pay the insured business for money or other property lost because of dishonest acts of its employees.  The bond covers dishonest acts such as larceny, theft, embezzlement, forgery, misappropriation, wrongful abstraction, or willful misapplication.
Garage or Garage Keepers Insurance - coverage for injury, property damage or destruction for which the insured garage or its representative become legally liable resulting from the operation of the garage.
General Liability - coverage for an insured when negligent acts and/or omissions result in bodily injury and/or property damage when someone is injured as the result of using the product manufactured or distributed by a business or when someone is injured in the general operations of a business.
Liquor Liability - legislation that makes an establishment or individual selling liquor responsible for injuries caused by its customers to a third party.
Professional Liability Insurance - coverage for specialists in various professional fields that work with the general public and have greater than average expertise in particular areas, for example lawyers, surgeons, druggists, and insurance agents.
Property Insurance - indemnifies an insured whose property is stolen, damaged or destroyed by a covered peril.


Scroll Up
Staging Enabled