Web Content Display Web Content Display

Conflict Resolution Options

Informal Resolution Process

Initial assistance with complaints should be an informal process discussed with the DSO to determine how students can best resolve disagreement with policies, practices or individuals. Resolutions through preventive intervention rather than formal complaints can, in most cases, result in a positive outcome.
The following steps should be followed to resolve complaints:
  1. 1. A student who has a complaint with regard to determination of disability status, service provision or related issues will meet with the DSO within five working days of the event in an attempt to resolve the issue. These complaints can include but are not limited to denial of accommodation, delay and/or denial of services or auxiliary equipment, unequal treatment or discrimination, and program and architectural inaccessibility.
  2. 2. If resolution is not reached at this level, the student may submit a written complaint to the Director of SEAS and request a meeting. Upon receipt of the written complaint, the DSO will arrange the meeting. The DSO may attend this meeting at the request of either the student or the Director. The Director will inform the student in writing of the outcome.

Formal Resolution Process

If informal resolution attempts have failed and the student with a disability still believes she/he has been a victim of discrimination or harassment by anyone associated with the University, the student should contact Ingrid C. Williams, AVP of Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion, and Administration. The Complaint Form and the Complaint Procedure Timeline Form are both available on-line. The complaint will be treated confidentially to the extent the law permits, and will be investigated promptly, thoroughly and objectively.
If the situation that precipitated the complaint is determined to be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, a resolution will be prescribed after consultation with all parties involved. The student will be notified in writing of the action and the parties responsible for compliance. If the complaint investigation determines that no University violation occurred, the student will also be notified of that outcome.
The student has a right to file a formal complaint directly with the Office for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education, 50 United Nations Plaza, Room 239, San Francisco, CA 94102-4987 (Tel. 415-556-4275), or other appropriate federal or state departments, in lieu of, or in addition to, using the University established procedure to resolve conflict regarding disability accommodations.

Scroll Up
Staging Enabled
Last updated: 8/27/20