Proposed Changes to Program Impaction Effective Fall 2023
Two new Mechanical Engineering concentrations/options [Energy Design and Mechanical Design] will be offered beginning Fall 2023. These two concentrations replace Mechanical Engineering General Option which will no longer accept new students. All Mechanical Engineering programs are impacted.
Changes to Admission Requirements for Fall 2023
Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Technology programs will be assessed based on the factors listed below, in addition to the basic CSU eligibility requirements. Specifically for transfer applicants, the admission selection process for each of the impacted programs will incorporate their overall college GPA, number of completed college courses, number of completed engineering courses, local area (Solano County) residency, and veteran status. We also recommend submitting a resume to show any background/experience in engineering, leadership, and/or the maritime industry.
Required: The most recent math course (at least algebra II) must be passed with a "C-" or better gtade within 5 years of the application term.
- Each student’s math GPA (Grades 9-11) will be factored into the overall GPA
- The number of math courses taken beyond Algebra II
- Veteran status and Foster Youth / Ward of the Court status
- Additional STEM courses (Areas C, D and G)
- Participation in activities with maritime or leadership focus (e.g., JROTC, Sea Cadets, Boy/Girl Scouts, EXP, etc.)
Recommended: Completion of the following:
- Pre-calculus or equivalent course
- A course in physics
- Four years of high school math
Lower Division Transfer Applicants
Required: Precalculus (CSU GE area B4) must have been passed with a "C-" or better within five years of the application
Recommended: Completion of the following courses prior to transfer
- Calculus I, C- or better
- Engineering Physics with a lab, C- or better
- General Chemistry with a lab, C- or better
Upper Division Transfer Applicants
Required: Completion of additional courses with a C- or better grade:
- Calculus I
- General Chemistry with a Lab
- Engineering Physics I or Calculus-based Physics
Recommended: For a more solid foundation for the major, completion of the following courses with a C- or better grade prior to transfer:
- Calculus II
- Engineering Graphics
- Engineering Statics
- Physics II
- Properties of Materials
Three virtual public hearings are scheduled to discuss these proposed changes to admission guidelines for the 2023-24 academic year.
Tues, 3/1/2022 (5:30– 6:30pm)
Thurs, 3/10/2022 (5:30 – 6:30pm)
Wed, 3/16/2022 (5:30 – 6:30pm)
Please RSVP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A password will be provided upon receipt of your RSVP.
For additional information about program impaction, click here.