2016-17 African American History Month (February)
2016-17 Events: African American History Month (February)
The Black History Month Program at Cal Maritime was a success. Thank you to all our contributors, including Brig Timpson and the Cal Maritime choir, Sharon Culpepper, Zada McClendon's spoken word performance, John Annal and friends, Demetra Miller, Tyrone Wise, Mariah Miller's mime performance, Lerecia Davis's spoken word performance, those behind the scenes, including Stephanie Mila and others in catering, Marie Cluney and company in facilities, Bobby King and Aubrey Trujillo in public affairs and communication, Royster Martin, Ja'Mar Walker and cadet Francois Powell in audio visual support, the subcommittee members who worked long and hard, including Tari Houston-Collins, Elaine Kociolek, Demetra Miller, Amy Parsons, Tyrone Wise, student members: Zada McClendon and Kenia Conner, and our subcommittee chair, Sharon Culpepper. Please enjoy the following photos from the event:
The campus community is invited to attend the following events celebrating Black History.
1. Dining Center: A diverse selection of African American cuisine will be served throughout the month. See below for the schedule and menu served for lunch on the respective dates.
2. Black Student Union: Students are invited to watch "A Soldier's Story" on February 9th and the documentary "Soundtrack for a Revolution" next Wednesday on the 15th. Both showings will be at 7:30 pm in Rizza and there will be a discussion held after the "Soundtrack for a Revolution" documentary.
3. TED Talk interview screening and discussion (Sponsored by Library Services) of the Founders of Black Lives Matter –Tuesday February 7th, 1100-1145 in the Library's Green Room.
4. #WeAreCalMaritime campaign: Keep an eye out for fellow students and staff talking about what Black History Month means to them.
5. Music and Invited Speaker: On Thursday February 23rd from 630-8pm in Rizza Auditorium our celebration of Black History Month will culminate with an ensemble of performers and artists including John Ramas Ann'al (Entertainer, Guitarist, Keyboardist), Cal Maritime student performers, our own Cal Maritime Chorus and more. Join us from 6-6:30pm in Rizza Lobby for light refreshments. Don't miss this fun and educational event.