Fall 2020 FAQs
Do I need to return to campus in the fall?
- Engine (ME, MET, & FET) and Deck (MT) cadets will be on campus and participate in F2F classes
- We are currently planning to finish the F2F courses by mid-November
- MPM Cadets (IBL, GSMA, & OCN) will be virtual
Will I have some classes that are in person and some that are online?
- It is likely. All classes STCW will be held in person and all other classes will be held virtually.
What will activities and support look like for the fall?
- For those on campus: Activities will look similar to previous terms, but with more activities happening outdoors and more having maximum capacities. Cadets on campus should expect to participate in formation, watch, and random drug testing.
- For those fully virtual and not on campus: Virtual activities will be provided by all departments that traditionally host on campus activities. All support services will remain available virtually. Cadets not on campus should expect to participate in virtual musters and regular check ins.
What support services will be available in the fall?
- For those on campus: Services will look similar to previous terms, but with some services or meetings occurring virtually.
- For those fully virtual and not on campus: All support services will remain available virtually.
Will I have to be COVID tested before classes begin?
- Those participating in on campus classes or activities will need to receive a negative COVID test result by the time classes begin.
- If you participated in Phase 3 of F2F and were already tested, you will not be required to test again, but can opt in if you would like. If you did not participate in Phase 3 of F2F, you will need to be tested. We will host testing on campus as a part of move in.
If I am living on campus, how will room assignments be changed?
- Since we have shifted to singles only and have had to pull additional spaces offline for isolation rooms, room assignments have changed a lot. It is very likely that you will not be in the room, and maybe even the building, that you requested.
- If you are here for Phase 3 of F2F, your room assignment for that phase will most likely be your fall assignment (with a few exceptions).
How will meals and dining work?
- Meals for move in will be provided in Lot L after you get tested in Lot O.
- Once you have gotten word that your test is negative, you can go to the Dining Center for meals.
- All meals will be to-go until in restaurant eating is approved.
How will formation, watch, and random drug testing work for those who are on campus?
- Formation will be held on Bodnar field
- Deck and Engine watch will occur as normal
- Random Drug Testing will occur as normal
If all of my classes are virtual do I need to come to campus at all for the Fall semester?
- No. If you are not on campus, you will not be required to participate in an in person formation, watch, or Random Drug Testing.
Can I opt to live on campus if all of my classes are virtual?
- Maybe. Since we are only able to offer single rooms for the fall, our capacity to offer housing to those not participating in F2F instruction will be extremely limited.
- If you have an extenuating circumstance and would like to live on campus in the fall, please submit your application here by August 5th. All applications will be reviewed by committee and will take into account your academic class year and your extenuating circumstances.
If I have issues with internet at home, are there hotspots available to loan?
- Yes, but supplies are limited. Anyone who wants to be considered needs to submit this application that will be reviewed by a committee.