Fall 2020 Library
"Top 10" Q&A for Cal Maritime Library
Does the library have copies of my textbooks that I can borrow?
- Some professors put copies of their textbooks on reserve in the library so students can borrow them.
- For Fall 2020: We’re working to provide the “course reserve” service the best we can. For on-campus students, course readings will be available for longer loans than usual, 24-hours outside the library building. Items will be quarantined for three days between borrowers. For off-campus students, we’re trying to provide electronic access when possible. Get in touch with us if you have any questions! https://library.csum.edu
How do I get help with research and citations?
- Librarians are happy to work with you to help find any materials you’re looking for. We can teach you how to use the library search tools and databases, help you track down hard-to-find information, and give you guidance on citing your sources.
- For Fall 2020: Book a Zoom appointment with a librarian to get one-on-one assistance, submit a question through our contact form, or get instant help 24/7 from CSU libraries through our chat service: https://library.csum.edu
Will the library be open during the Fall 2020 semester?
- Although the library building will be closed this semester, librarians are still available to assist faculty and students virtually. Online library materials like ebooks and articles are available through our website 24/7. For on-campus students, we’ll have “outside pickup” service during regular business hours M-F, and you can make an appointment to pick up library materials that you’ve requested.
How can I get library books?
- Ebooks are available from the library website 24/7 (https://library.csum.edu). For print books, on-campus students can login to the library OneSearch and put a “hold” on a book, then make an appointment for outside pickup. For off-campus students, we’re looking into options for mailing books.
How do I print?
- For Fall 2020: Printing will be available in Morrow Cove. Printing in the library won’t be available.
- Usually: The library has two WEPA print stations and students can send print jobs from any computer on the campus network, including laptops and desktops in the library.
Does the library get really busy?
- When we’re not in the midst of a global pandemic, the library building gets busy indeed! It’s one of the most popular places on campus for studying, and we have the *best* view. We look forward to welcoming you inside sometime in the future.
Do you have anything besides books?
- We have more than just books! We have laptops and iPads, DVDs and Blu-Rays, GoPro cameras & mounts, Kindles & Nooks, whiteboard markers, calculators, headphones, protractors, binoculars, and other items. We also subscribe to over 90 online databases that include e-books, academic articles, reports, dissertations & theses, images, streaming videos, and more.
Do I have to make a reservation for group study rooms?
- For Fall 2020: The group study rooms in the library aren’t open right now, but we’re going to provide an outdoor study area on the lawn near the library to facilitate the need for study space while maintaining health & safety standards.
- Usually: The group study rooms in the library are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and are sometime used for classes or workshops.
Are all of your books about maritime topics?
- The physical collections within the building are very focused on maritime curriculum, but we also include some recreational reading like bestsellers and graphic novels and a DVD/Blu-ray collection of feature films. You also have access to the books of the entire CSU system. You can request materials from other CSU libraries to be delivered to our library for free.
Do I need a library card?
- Your Portpass (Cal Maritime ID card) serves as your library card. When accessing library materials from off-campus, you can log into the subscription databases with your Cal Maritime username and password.