Off-Campus Housing Policy and Petition
Cadets enrolled in any baccalaureate degree programs at the California State University Maritime Academy are required to maintain residency on campus and participate in a meal plan. However, cadets may be exempted from living on-campus if they meet eligibility, submit an off-campus petition, and is approved for off-campus status.
Eligibility for Off-Campus Consideration
Cadets who are 26 years of age or older prior to August 1st of the start of the academic year. No documentation is required.
Cadets who are married or in a domestic partnership. Documentation is required and must be uploaded with your StarRez application, such as marriage certificate, certificate of registered domestic partnership, civil union or other similar status, joint bank statements, shared car insurance, or shared medical coverage.
Current/active military or veteran's status with at least 24 months of active service. Documentation is required and must be uploaded with your StarRez application, such as a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (if a veteran), or written proof of current active military duty.
Retired, Active, and Active Reserve military members can apply for off campus housing after living on campus for one-year, acceptable documentation includes a DD214, Letter from Command, and Points Summary.
- Off-campus petitions are available via the StarRez housing application portal. Note, every student must reapply and submit a new petition each year.
- The application will be reviewed by the Office of Residence Life to ensure that all required documentation is provided. If documentation is not received by the deadline, the request will become invalid. If you have any questions regarding the documentation for medical accommodation or financial hardship, please contact those campus offices directly.
- All medical documents are submitted to the Disability Services Office while any financial documents are submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
- If the application is complete and submitted on-time, a decision will be made and the cadet will receive communication of their petition decision via their official Cal Maritime email account.
- If approved for off-campus, an on-campus residential bed space or room will not be reserved. If a cadet wishes to decline off-campus acceptance or something changes with off-campus approval, the student must contact the Office of Residence Life via email at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Readmission to on-campus housing and receiving a room assignment is not guaranteed due to the occupancy numbers.
Continuing Cadets: Applications will be available Spring 2021. Application will open in April. All off-campus petitions are due by April 26th, 2021. All students who are currently off-campus are required to reapply for off-campus status each year.
Incoming New Cadets: Applications will be available early Spring 2021 semester (April). All off-campus petitions are due by May 15th, 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions about Off-Campus Eligibility and Process
Yes. Effective November 1st, 2015, off-campus permission is only granted for one academic year (or less, depending on permission approval). Every cadet must reapply each year for off-campus permission and submit supporting document required.
No. Don't sign a lease before you are officially granted an exemption from the on-campus residency requirement. Signing a lease is NOT a criterion used to evaluate a cadet's need to live off campus. This could be a costly mistake; if you are not granted an exemption to the residency requirement you will need to pay for on-campus housing and meal plan fees.
Any cadet not approved for off-campus will need to participate in room selection. If you are not approved for off-campus status and do not participate in the StarRez (SR) room selection process, the Office of Residence Life will assign you a room assignment and a roommate.
2021-2022 Room Selection Week for Continuing Students is scheduled for late April. More information regarding the room selection process can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life at email@example.com.