Instructional Student Assistant
Under supervision, Instructional Student Assistants (ISA) in this classification perform teaching, grading or tutoring duties for the majority of work hours in a given appointment in a given academic department or equivalent administrative unit over the course of an academic term. Assignments are made by the academic department or an equivalent administrative unit and by a specific supervisor at a CSU campus.
Instructional Student Assistants are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week of total employment while the student is enrolled in classes. Instructional Student Assistants employed for less than 20 hours per week may be appointed concurrently in another student classification up to a combined total of approximately 20 hours per week.
When hiring an ISA student whether new or returning to your department or campus, there are certain Federal and State requirements regarding employment. For more information about the complete process for hiring student employees, please review the Managers Hiring Guideline.
Hiring Manager Tools and Resources:
- Determine which student job is appropriate: "Instructional Student Assistant" or "Student Assistant"
- Managers Hiring Guide
- Position Description of Duties Form (fill-in) UAW-Unit 11
- Job Description Template:
- Review Classification Standards (1150, and all others that may apply)
- Familarize yourself with Student Pay: Salary Schedule
- Complete a Request for Personnel Action to post and fill positions
Job Opportunities: (Under Construction)
- Athletics (Sailing)
- Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Student Engagement and Academic Success (SEAS) - To apply for SEAS Center "TUTOR" openings, please email email@example.com
Student Onboarding/Hiring Instructions, Tools and Forms:
Congratulations on your appointment as an Instructional Student Assistant. As a hired student you will receive email communications instructing you of your onboarding process. In order to be paid in a timely manner and meet federal and state legal compliance please follow the instructions and complete the following steps. These instructions guide what paperwork is required for you to complete PRIOR TO starting work.
New and Returning ISA Onboarding (Completing your hiring forms):
- New Hire Orientation Forms Checklist: Use this checklist as a guide to complete your required hiring forms as instructed in your appointment letter.
- Click this link: Hiring Forms and Documents to access hiring forms.
- Employment Eligibility I-9 Verification) Hiring Identification Requirement: All employees are required to submit appropriate documentation to verify their eligibility to work in the United States ON OR BEFORE their first day of work. Please refer to Federal Guidelines and our list of Acceptable Documents for more information. If substantiation cannot be provided within the guidelines, the employee will not be permitted to work until they are able to provide that substantiation.
Payroll and Benefit Resources
Provides access to: Student Direct Deposit form, Holiday and Pay Calendars and much more.
ALL timecards must be submitted online in Peoplesoft. Our CSUM Payroll Website provides you with information, forms and steps to guide you through your payroll processing to include the following information:
- Instructional Student Assistant (ISA) Timesheet - Paper timecards to be submitted if there is a late online timesheet or student is on cruise.
- Student "How to Guide" - Entering time in Peoplesoft (Quick Reference Guide)
- Student Payroll Calendar
- Benefit: Benefits Summary (Unit 11)
Additional Resources for Hiring Managers and Students:
2019/2020 Job Summary of Filled Positions:
(Unit 11 Bargaining Unit Positions Hired for the Academic Year (Article 2.2 Unit 11 CBA))
|CLASSIFICATION||DEPARTMENT||# OF POSITIONS|
|Instructional Student Assistant||Athletics||2|
|Instructional Student Assistant||Early Assessment Program (SEAS)||5|
|Instructional Student Assistant||Engineering Technology||4|
|Instructional Student Assistant||School of L&S - Admin||8|
|Instructional Student Assistant||Student Engagement and Academic Success (SEAS)||29|
Contact: Demetra Miller, HR Faculty and Academic Student Analyst; Phone (707) 654-1244; firstname.lastname@example.org