Components of a Service Learning Syllabus
The service learning "Meta-question" (i.e., what is the over-arching question related to service – justice, diversity, social responsibility and compassion – that the students are to examine?)
- Specific service learning outcomes
- List of possible community partners
- Contact Name
- Service activities
- Available service times
- Directions to site
- Other details?
- Clear expectations for students work in the community
- Minimum hours required?
- Parameters for completing the "project"
- Integrative assignments
- Specific journal questions
- Short essay topics
- Research papers
- How service component will be assessed?
- Portion of grade assigned to supervisor evaluation?