Planned as one of the many "Laker" class freighters, to be named SS LAKE FELLOWSHIP, this ship was launched on 18 Oct 1919 by American Shipbuilding, Lorain Ohio (hull #771). She was completed in November 1920 and commissioned as the SS HENRY COUNTY (U.S. Shipping Board hull design #1099-A).
She was placed out of service and stored in the James River Reserve Fleet in the mid 1920's, and acquired by the Navy in 1930 and transferred to California Nautical School.
Commissioned as C.T.S. CALIFORNIA STATE on 23 Jan 1931, the ship was nicknamed the "Iron Mother" by the cadets who lived on her. The CALIFORNIA STATE was renamed T.S. GOLDEN STATE in December 1941. As training ship of the California Nautical School / California Maritime Academy she sailed on 12 major ocean cruises, including one cruise around the world in 1933.
The GOLDEN STATE was decommissioned 12 Aug 1946 and placed in the Suisun reserve fleet, then sold into private foreign trade in 1948 under various owners with the names Isle of Patmos and Santa Rosa. She was scrapped in Brazil in August 1962.
Turbo-Electric Steam Two oil-fired Wickes boilers 6000 HP = 17.0 knots Twin Screw, each 11'06" (3.51m) diam. Maritime Commission designation S4-SE2-BE1 type
Built for the Navy as the twelfth of the Attack Cargo Ship "ARTEMIS" class, the ship's keel was laid on 25 September 1944 at Walsh-Kaiser Shipyard, Providence R.I. (hull #1893). It was launched on 11 December 1944 and commissioned on 20 January 1945 as USS MELLENA (AKA-32).
The MELLENA served during World War II in the Western Pacific theater and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 at Mare Island. The ship was then immediately transferred to the California Maritime Academy, where it was commissioned as T.S. GOLDEN BEAR on 07 September 1946. During her time at Cal Maritime she sailed on 24 major ocean cruises. On 14 May 1971, GOLDEN BEAR was decommissioned, then scrapped.
Geared Turbine Steam 7800 HP = 18.0 knots Single Screw, 4 blade, 19' 3" (5.87m) diam. Maritime Commission designation C3-P type "Del" class
Contracted on 16 Dec 1938 by Maritime Commission (hull #49), this ship's keel was laid on 08 May 1939 at Bethlehem Steel, Sparrows Point, Baltimore (hull #4338). She was launched on 17 Feb 1940 as SS DEL ORLEANS, and delivered on 23 Aug 1940 to Delta Lines.
Built as a luxury combination passenger-cargo ship for trips from New Orleans to Buenos Aires Argentina on the "Coffee Run," the DEL ORLEANS was requisitioned by the U.S. Government on 03 Jun 1941. The Navy took control on 09 Jun 1941 and stripped her for duty. She was then commissioned as U.S.S. CRESCENT CITY (AP-40) on 10 Oct 1941.
She served during World War II in most of the major campaigns in the western Pacific theater, and redesignated as APA-21 in early 1943. She earned a Navy Unit Commendation and 10 battle stars during WWII before being decommissioned in San Francisco on 30 April 1948 and laid up.
She was then transferred to California Maritime Academy in May 1971, and converted into a school ship. Commissioned as T.S. GOLDEN BEAR II in June 1971, she sailed on 28 major ocean cruises.
On 18 July 1995, GOLDEN BEAR II was decommissioned, and placed in the reserve fleet. In 1999, she was acquired by the City of Oakland for use as an art colony and named "ART SHIP". She was sold for scrap in 2004.
Ordered on 28 Jun 1985 under MARAD contract (hull #4667) for the Navy, this ship's keel was laid on 29 July 1986, and launched on 04 Sep 1987 at Bethlehem Steel, Sparrows Point, MD. She was delivered to the Navy on 31 March 1989 and placed in service as USNS MAURY (T-AGS-39).
Built for the U.S. Navy as a Hydrographic Survey Vessel to map the deep ocean floor, she was the largest and fastest oceanographic ship ever at the time she was built. Contrary to popular rumors, USNS MAURY did not perform spy missions or "black" operations.
She was placed out of service in Sep 1994 and laid up in Reserve Fleet Suisun Bay. On 01 Oct 1994, she was struck from Navy roles and transferred to MARAD with an agreement signed to transfer her to the California Maritime Academy in the future.
After the conversion of her living spaces, she was transferred to Cal Maritime on 04 May 1996 (her sister ship, USNS TANNER, was transferred to Maine Maritime Academy).
T.S.G.B. is the fourth and largest training ship at California Maritime Academy and the third to carry the name GOLDEN BEAR. She is sometimes nicknamed "Square Bear" because of her unique profile.