Web Content Display Web Content Display


Off-Campus Policy and Petition


It is the policy of California State University Maritime Academy that students enrolled in its baccalaureate degree programs maintain residency on campus and participate in a meal plan. However, students may be exempted from living on-campus.  Students must fill out and submit a completed Off-Campus Petition with accompanying documentation by March 23rd, 2018 (the deadline date for academic year 2019-2020 will be published early Spring semester). *Effective November 1st, 2015, off-campus permission is only granted for one academic year (or less, depending on permission approval) and every student must reapply each year for off-campus.**

Students petitioning to live off-campus for any reason must submit an Off-Campus Petition via StarRez and any supporting documentation required for the reason under which the student is petitioning to live off campus. All documentation must be attached to the application on the upload documents page(***with the exception of medical documentation due by early February for Returning Students and April 1st for incoming first-year students: that goes to Siobhan Case in the Disability Services Office and with the exception of financial hardship documentation: that goes to Priscilla Muha in the Financial Aid Office) by the advertised deadline or the petition will not be considered. Any petition that does not contain all listed documentation (IE: proof of marriage, medical documentation, proof of maritime license, etc.) will be labeled as incomplete and not be considered for the off-campus privilege.


For students who were granted approval for off-campus permission for the 2018-2019 academic year, please submit contact form to Housing & Residential Life Office by Monday, August 20th, 2018. 

Consideration for Off-Campus Housing Requests  


Students may request from living on-campus if they submit a completed Off-Campus Petition and all accompanying paperwork by the appropriate deadline and meet at least one of the following criteria:

1. Age- Students who are 26 years of age or older on or prior to August 1st, 2018.


2. Marital Status- Students who are married or head of household as defined by the Internal Revenue Service. Proof must be provided via a legible notarized copy of your marriage license and/or completed tax form.


3. Prior Military Service- Students who have served at least four years of continuous active military duty. Proof must be provided via a legible copy of DD-214 papers or discharge papers.


4. Maritime License- Students holding a Third Mate or Third Assistant Engineer maritime license. Must provide a legible copy of your license.


5. Parental Custody- Students must have 50% parental custody of child/children. Proof of legal guardianship documentation must be provided.  


6. Medical- Student must provide current medical documentation (less than one year old and on medical office's letterhead) from an appropriately licensed medical professional describing the disability/medical condition, basis for diagnosis, how the disability/condition impacts the student's ability to live in on-campus housing and professionally recommended accommodations to Ms. Siobhan Case in the Disability Services Office by no later than February 14th of the academic year for returning and readmit students and April 1st for new students. All medical petitions will be reviewed by DSO &/or Health Services. Once an accommodation is recommended DSO, Health Services, and the Office of Housing & Residential Life will work together to meet the students' accommodations.


7. Financial Hardship- Students must complete and submit FAFSA by March 2nd and accept all financial aid offered, including loans. To qualify for financial hardship, students must be eligble for the Pell grant and show at least 20% of unmet need (without Federal Work Study). Must be enrolled full time and have Pell Eligible EFC range from 0 to 5328. Please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA otherwise you will be expected to provide a copy of your's and your parents' 2016 Tax Return to the Financial Aid Office. All financial hardship petitions will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office. If you have any questions, please contact Priscilla Muha.


8. Grandfathered Status- Student must have been granted off-campus for academic year 17-18 and will be in senior class standing for academic year 18-19. Students who were granted off-campus for academic year 17-18, currently living off-campus, and will be seniors for the academic year 18-19, must be in good academic and good conduct standing in order to be granted off-campus status for academic year 18-19. Students are subjected to academic and conduct review. This is for the 18-19 academic year only.


9. Other- If a student does not meet one of the stated categories: age, marital status, military service, maritime license, parental custody, medical, financial hardship, or  "grandfathered" senior class standing status, and is requesting off-campus approval based upon extenuating circumstances, student must submit a letter explaining extenuating circumstances and their reason for petitioning for off-campus. All "other" petitions will be reviewed by the Off-campus Petition Review Committee. This is only for the senior class standing status for academic year 2018-2019.


All Off-Campus Petitions must be submitted by 11:59pm PST on March 23rd, 2018 for continuing students. Off-Campus Petitions for incoming 1st year students are due by 11:59pm on May 1st, 2018. Late admission or readmit students must submit the completed petition and accompanying documentation within ten (10) days of late acceptance or late readmission deadline set by the university.


Petitions will be reviewed by the Office of Housing & Residential Life. If approved, the petitioner is granted off-campus for the academic year. Once petitioner is granted off-campus, an on-campus residential bed space or room will not be reserved or placed on hold for petitioner. If something changes with their off-campus status or student wishes to decline off-campus acceptance, student must contact the Office of Housing & Residential Life and send email to housing@csum.edu immediately. Readmission to on-campus housing and receiving a room assignment is not guaranteed due the occupancy numbers.



Scroll Up
Staging Enabled