3rd Mate and 3rd Assistant Engineer Application Information
In the spring term of the junior year, or the semester prior to anticipated program completion, all license track cadets must run an Academic Requirements report from PeopleSoft, and use this report to complete a License Program Completion Worksheet. This worksheet will verify progress toward program completion and readiness to apply for the 3rd Mate/AE license and sit for the USCG exam series.
The USCG requires that all applicants are within 6 months of program completion at the time of their application. Testing will be scheduled during or after your final term of enrollment. Most cadets will apply for their license in the fall of their senior year by submitting a complete application, copies of all required documents, and a Pay.Gov receipt for the appropriate fees to the Lincensing Office, Student Services building Room 105, by the required due date.
All license track cadets must submit a MMC application, qualify for approval to test by the USCG, and be enrolled in their final academic term or have met all CSU Maritime Academy's license program requirements to be eligible to sit for their exams.
It is your responsibility to provide the following documents with your completed application: All forms can be accessed from the 3rd Mate & 3rd Assistant Engineer Application Packet
- 1. Initialed and signed Statements of Understanding form
- 2. Signed MMC Application Third Party Release form
- 3. Signed Medical Certification Third Party Release form
- 4. CG-719B MMC Application – completed electronically and printed single sided.
- 5. Clear color copy of your TWIC.
- 6. Clear copy of your Pay.gov payment receipt. Instructions for payment selections are found in the Application Packet.
- 7. CG-719K USCG Medical Certificate/Physical form – your portion completed electronically, printed single sided and signed, and completed, signed, and dated by the medical practitioner.
Please complete the following documents if applicable:
- Color copy of your Permanent Resident Alien card, the front and back, if applicable.
- Color copy of your US Certificate of Naturalization, if applicable.
- CG-719C- USCG Conviction Statement form –for conviction(s) occuring after prior entry level cadet application and not previously reported.
- CG-719P DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing form and lab results, if not a Cal Maritime enrolled student within the previous six months of license application. Cal Maritime recommended lab for completion of CG-719P can be found on the Drug Testing Contact Information Sheet.
General Application Information
Double check that your application is completely filled out. Use "n/a" or "none" if something does not apply to you. Step-by-step instructions and examples are provided in the Application Packet to assist you with completing each section of the application.
Please be aware that only complete applications will be accepted. Any form left blank, missing documents or receipt for payment - anything that you do not provide, will cause your application packet to be delayed in processing. DO NOT STAPLE any pages together. DO NOT SUBMIT DOUBLE SIDED FORMS.
Your completed application, Pay.gov receipt, and copies of all the required documents, indicated above, must be dropped off at the Licensing Office, Room 105 of the Student Services Building, by the required due date.
You can check on the status of your application online! Visit the NMC website using the Check Application Status Instructions.
You must be a US citizen in order to receive a 3rd Mate or 3rd Assistant Engineer endorsement. Please refer to US Citizenship Information for 3rd Mate/Assistant Engineer Applicants for more information regarding the application process and testing information pertaining to non-US citizens.