Why do I need to apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential and a USCG Medical Certificate?
A valid Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) and USCG Medicial Certificate are required of all U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents of the U.S. in order to sail upon a U.S. Flag Vessel. You are required to possess a valid MMC and Med. Cert. to participate in CRU 200/250- Sea Training II.
When do I apply for my Cadet MMC and Medical Certificate?
Typically, in the fall of your sophomore year.
What forms of personal identification are required to apply for a Cadet credential?
• Driver's License
• US Passport
• Certificate of Naturalization, if applicable
• I-551 Permanent Resident Alien (Green) Card, if applicable
Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to apply for my Cadet MMC?
No. The USCG will issue entry endorsements to non-U.S. citizens who have been legally admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence. Candidates must possess a valid TWIC, be free of legal issues and able to meet all medical criteria for licensure. For more information, please refer to the MMC Citizenship Requirements
sheet. If you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a Permanent Resident, please contact the Career Services Office to discuss your options for completing CRU 200/250
What ratings are included in the Cadet MMC?
Cadet credentials include: Ordinary Seaman (OS), Wiper, Stewards Department, Cadet Deck/Engine, and VPDSD (provided completion of NAU 104 or VPDSD training course).
If I currently hold a MMC, do I have to apply for a Cadet MMC? Will the fees be the same?
Yes. Individuals already in possession of a MMC must have the Cadet and VPDSD endorsements added to their credential. In most cases, endorsement stickers are issued to be added to your current MMC. If your MMC will expire prior to completion of CRU 200/250 and/or any additional required seatime, you must renew your credential and add the appropriate endorsements.
Please contact the Licensing Coordinator to determine the correct fee selections for adding the required endorsements to your existing credential.
What is the current fee to apply for a Cadet MMC?
$140 (as of 9/1/17)
How do I pay the Cadet Merchant Mariner Credential fees?
All credential fees are paid on the Pay.Gov website. Please refer to the Cadet MMC Application Packet for correct fee selections.
What documents are required to submit with my application? Links and instructions for all forms can be found in the Cadet MMC Application Packet.
1. Cadet Statements of Understanding form
2. MMC Application Third Party Authorization form
3. MMC Medical Certificate Third Party Authorization form
4. CG-719B Merchant Mariner Credential Application
5. CG-719C Conviction Disclosure Statement (if any convictions other than minor driving violations)
6. Photocopy of TWIC card
7. Valid Cal Maritime Random Drug Testing Program participant letter (provided by Licensing office) or CG-719P Drug Testing form and lab results (if not enrolled currently or in the previous academic term).
8. Pay.gov receipt of $ 255.00
9. CG-719K Medical Certificate Application/Physical form
Please note that non-U.S. citizens will require additional documentation with their application, please refer to the Cadet MMC Application Packet for details.
When will I receive my credential?
Cadet credentials and medical certificates are distributed in early April, prior to Sea Training II/CRU 200 and 250. You will be required to sign for your documents.