Web Content Display Web Content Display


Faculty Development

Faculty development funds are available to support faculty in their research, scholarly and creative activities, and professional development. There are various funds available and more than one type of fund can be applied for at the same time.  Descriptions of Faculty Development Funds.  In brief, the types of faculty development funds are:

  • Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds - During the spring semester faculty can apply for Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds by submitting an Application for Faculty Development Funds to Susan Bigler, Exec. Asst. to the AVPAA.
  • Provost's Presentation Support Fund, maximum of $500/presentation, to support faculty giving presentations at conferences and workshops. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to Susan Bigler, Exec. Asst. to the AVPAA.
  • Class of 1965 Memorial Endowment - Funds are available for MT faculty who have an activity that aligns with the endowment purpose: "To motivate, recognize, and promote professionalism and safety in the maritime industry.  The fund will allow qualifying cadets and faculty to attend industry conferences and seminars to improve their professional skills and understanding of the industry." Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to Susan Bigler, Exec. Asst. to the AVPAA. Applications are accepted anytime during the academic year but the funds must be used before June 30th.   The Faculty Development Committee reviews the application and makes their recommendation to the AVP. The AVP after consulting with the Vice President of Advancement makes the final decisions on the awards.  Successful recipients will also have to file a brief account of how the monies were spent with Advancement for their Annual Stewardship Report 


  • Department Faculty Development Funds - During the fall semester, faculty, including the librarian/faculty and coaching faculty, can apply for Department Faculty Development Funds through their respective departments.  Faculty should submit their application to their Department Chair, or Dean of the Library, in the case of the librarians, or Athletic Director, in the case of coaching faculty.

      Application for Department Faculty Development Funds


  • Chancellor's Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities Award Program (RSCA Funds) to support research, scholarly, and creative activity of faculty. Online applications are due October 14, 2016 for the 2016-17 fiscal year.

     Apply here: https://csum.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1752729


  • Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant 2017-2018 - Faculty may apply for grants for 2017-2018 to engage in the scholarship of teaching and learning.  The grant is designated for those interested in performing classroom assessment or other assessment techniques and document improvements in teaching resulting in measurable increase in student learning outcomes. The research results must be publishable material suitable for professional journals and conference presentations and also will inform campus bodies such as the Institution-Wide Assessment Committee. Application deadline: Friday, March 24, 2017 to Graham Benton, AVP Academic Affairs.  

      SoTL Grant Description and Application


  • President's Mission Achievement Grants - Up to $5,000/grant. Submit an application in the proper format to the AVP Academic Affairs. Application deadline is November 15 for spring and summer awards and March 15 for the following fall semester awards. 

     President's Mission Achievement Grant application


  • Faculty Maritime Fund Grant - Up to $500/grant that can be used to meet a variety of academic needs such as the purchase of specialized equipment and computer programs, project funding, conferences, stipends to hire assistants, etc. Applications may be submitted at any time to Robert Arp, Vice President for University Advancement.

     Faculty Maritime Fund Grant application


   Forms and Information

  • Travel Authorization Form - Travel expenses must be preapproved.  To do so, fill out and submit this Travel Authorization form before traveling.
  • Travel Claim Form - for reimbursement for travel expenses, lodging, meal, and incidental costs.

For questions contact:

Graham Benton

Interim Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs



Nipoli Kamdar
Faculty Development Coordinator
Professor, Maritime Policy & Management


Scroll Up
Staging Enabled