Faculty development funds are available to support faculty in their research, scholarly and creative activities, and professional development. There are various funds available and more than one type of fund can be applied for at the same time. Descriptions of Professional and Faculty Development Funds. In brief, the types of faculty development funds are:
- Chancellor's Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities Award Program (RSCA Funds) to support research, scholarly, and creative activity of faculty. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee. Second round applications are due October 15, 2015 for the 2015-16 fiscal year.
- Provost's Presentation Support Fund, maximum of $500/presentation, to support faculty giving presentations at conferences and workshops. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds - During the spring semester faculty can apply for Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds by submitting an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- Class of 1965 Memorial Endowment for Marine Transportation - $4000 is available for 2015-2016 for Marine Transportation faculty for their professional development. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- Department Faculty Development Funds - During the fall semester, faculty, including the librarian/faculty and coaching faculty, can apply for Department Faculty Development Funds through their respective departments. Faculty should submit their application to their Department Chair, or Dean of the Library, in the case of the librarians, or Athletic Director, in the case of coaching faculty.
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant 2016-2017 - Faculty may apply for grants for 2016-2017 to engage in the scholarship of teaching and learning. The grant is designated for those interested in performing classroom assessment or other assessment techniques and document improvements in teaching resulting in measurable increase in student learning outcomes. The research results must be publishable material suitable for professional journals and conference presentations and also will inform campus bodies such as the Institution-wide Assessment Committee. Application deadline: Friday, March 28th, 2016 to Graham Benton, AVP Academic Affairs.
- President's Mission Achievement Grants - Up to $3,000/grant. Submit an application in the proper format to the Academic Dean; Application deadline is November 15 for spring and summer awards and March 15 for the following fall semester awards.
- Faculty Maritime Fund Grant - Up to $500/grant that can be used to meet a variety of academic needs such as the purchase of specialized equipment and computer programs, project funding, conferences, stipends to hire assistants, etc. Applications may be submitted at any time to Robert Arp, Vice President for University Advancement.
Forms and Information
- Flow Chart for Faculty Development Applications
- Travel Authorization Form - Travel expenses must be preapproved. To do so, fill out and submit this Travel Authorization form before traveling.
- Travel Claim Form - for reimbursement for travel expenses, lodging, meal, and incidental costs.
- Faculty Development Account Codes - account codes to use on the Travel Claim Form
- Faculty Development Assessment Form - to be filled out after completing a Faculty Development sponsored activity
- Information regarding Cal Maritime's travel rules and resources may be found here: https://www.csum.edu/web/fiscal-services/travel
- You must use Enterprise Rent-a-Car when renting a vehicle for State travel, if possible.
For questions contact:
Interim Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
Michele Van Hoeck
Interim Director of Faculty Development
Dean of the Library