Faculty development needs fall generally into three categories: 1) the generation of research; 2) the dissemination of research; and 3) the professional development necessary to advance the expertise of the faculty member. Cal Maritime supports these endeavors through a variety of funding opportunities. Brief descriptions and links to specific applications are below. Detailed descriptions, processes and criteria are found in Faculty Development Funds (2018-19 )
- Department Faculty Development Funds - During the fall semester, faculty, including the librarian/faculty and coaching faculty, can apply for Department Faculty Development Funds through their respective departments. Faculty should submit their application to their Department Chair, or Library Dean in the case of the librarians, or Athletic Director in the case of coaching faculty. Application for Department Faculty Development Funds.
- Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds - When Department Faculty Development Funds have been completely earmarked, faculty can apply for Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds by submitting an Application for Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds to Susan Bigler, Exec. Asst. to the AP, noting the following deadlines:
Fall deadline: November 5, 2018
Spring deadlines:January 14, 2019
February 18, 2019
March 18, 2019
After March 18, applications will be processed in the order received and as funds are available.
- Professional Faculty Development Funds - Faculty members seeking money for professional development (skills development, professional competencies, pedagogical enhancement, curriculum redesign, etc.) are encouraged to apply through the Professional Development Fund. Application for Professional Faculty Development Funds.
- President's Mission Achievement Grants - Up to $5,000/grant. Submit an application in the proper format to the appropriate School or Library Dean. Application deadline is February 1 for work to be completed in summer and fall. President's Mission Achievement Grant application.
- Class of 1965 Memorial Endowment - Funds are available for faculty who have an activity that aligns with the endowment purpose: "To motivate, recognize, and promote professionalism and safety in the maritime industry. The fund will allow qualifying cadets and faculty to attend industry conferences and seminars to improve their professional skills and understanding of the industry." Submit an Application for Class of 1965 Memorial Endowment Funds to Susan Bigler, Exec. Asst. to the AP. Applications are accepted anytime during the academic year but the funds must be used before June 30th. The Faculty Development Committee reviews the application and makes their recommendation to the Library Dean. The Library Dean, after consulting with the Vice President of Advancement, makes the final decisions on the awards. Successful recipients will also have to file a brief account of how the monies were spent with Advancement for their Annual Stewardship Report.
- Faculty Maritime Fund Grant - Up to $500/grant that can be used to meet a variety of academic needs such as the purchase of specialized equipment and computer programs, project funding, conferences, stipends to hire assistants, etc. Applications may be submitted at any time to Robert Arp, Vice President for University Advancement. Faculty Maritime Fund Grant application
Forms and Information
- Travel Authorization Form - Travel expenses must be preapproved. To do so, fill out and submit this Travel Authorization form before traveling.
- Travel Claim Form - for reimbursement for travel expenses, lodging, meals and incidental costs.
- You must use Enterprise Rent-a-Car when renting a vehicle for State travel, if possible.
For questions contact:
Michele Van Hoeck
Faculty Development Coordinator
Chair, Intl. Business & Logistics