Scholarships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education. Unlike student loans, scholarships do not have to be repaid. Scholarships are awarded based on academic, need, or other achievement. The selection criteria typically reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award.
California Maritime Foundation Scholarships
Cal Maritime receives annual scholarship funds from individuals, corporations, foundations, and professional associations. The California Maritime Academy Foundation manages a number of scholarship endowments, many of them named in memory of distinguished individuals associated the California Maritime Academy. Continuing students are invited to apply annually. Recipients are selected based on academic excellence, leadership, service, engagement, and financial need.
Western Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship (WUE)
The Western Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship (WUE) program is designed to permit students from participating states to attend Cal Maritime at reduced tuition rates.
Captain David Lyman Scholarship for Hawaii Residents
The Captain David Lyman Scholarship seeks to honor the memory of Captain David Lyman as a longtime member of Hawaii's maritime community by providing financial incentive for Hawaii students to apply to and enroll at the California Maritime Academy and pursue a profession in the maritime field.
Osher Foundation Scholarship
The Bernard Osher Foundation, headquartered in San Francisco, was founded in 1977 by Bernard Osher, a respected businessman and community leader. The Foundation seeks to improve quality of life through support for higher education and the arts. The Foundation provides post-secondary scholarship funding to colleges and universities across the nation.
Student Secured Scholarships
Student secured scholarships are those students bring with them to Cal Maritime. Generally, these scholarships are given to students with special qualifications, such as academic, athletic or artistic talent. Awards are also available for students who are interested in particular fields of study, who are members of underrepresented groups, who live in certain areas of the country, or who demonstrate financial need.
Students can search for and apply for scholarships throughout the year. There are several free scholarship search engines you can use to search for scholarships. You can find some of these scholarship search engines and organizations below.
Links to Off-Campus Scholarship Opportunities
Emerson Industrial Automation
|Dell Scholars||Kush Arora|
|Lake Erie Marine Trades|
Student Secured Scholarship Provider Information:
- Make checks payable to Cal Maritime
- Identify the student's name in the memo section of the check.
- Provide contact information and any special instruction in a letter to accompany the check.
- Scholarships without special instructions are divided equally between semesters.
- Mail scholarship checks to:
Cal Maritime Financial Aid Office
200 Maritime Academy Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94590
6. Preferred scholarship check schedule
August for the Fall semester or academic year
December for the Spring semester
March for the Summer semester
When Cal Maritime receives a check:
- The Financial Aid Office will enter the scholarship amount in the student's financial aid award.If the funds are received prior to the start of the semester, it is considered "pending aid" and will defer the tuition payment until the first disbursement of the semester.
- Cal Maritime will verify the student meets enrollment or other criteria specified prior to disbursing the scholarship check.
- After university charges are paid, any remaining funds will be disbursed to the student.
Students who have been awarded a student secured scholarship:
- You are required to notify the Cal Maritime Financial Aid Office with a copy of your scholarship award.
- The organization that awards you the scholarship will generally mail the check to Cal Maritime. If mailed to you directly, bring it to the Financial Aid Office for processing.
- The Financial Aid Office will coordinate your scholarship award with your financial aid award package.