A Campus of the California State University


Web Content Display Web Content Display


WUE Scholarship Program at the California Maritime Academy

Alaska - Arizona - Colorado - Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI) - Hawaii - Idaho - Montana - Nevada - New Mexico - North Dakota - Oregon - South Dakota - Utah - Washington - Wyoming

What is WUE?
The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program is designed to permit students from participating states (listed above) to attend Cal Maritime at reduced tuition rates. Students participating in Cal Maritime's WUE program pay on 50% more than the in-state tuition rate.
WUE will reduce the overall cost of attending Cal Maritime by reducing the tuition for a recipient from out-of-state. Here is an example based on tuition for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Yearly Tuition
Yearly Tuition
Yearly Tuition
California Resident
Out-of-State with WUE
Out-of-State without WUE
 $ 5,472.00
 $ 8,208.00
 $ 18,120.00 *

*Assumes 34 units per year at $372/unit.

 Who is Eligible for WUE?
Incoming freshman and transfer students in all majors who are residents of the states listed above are eligible. Each year, Cal Maritime will select the most academically qualified applicants from these states to participate n the program. WUE recipients are ineligible for in-state residency reclassification.
Below you will find the minimum requirements used for this program. The principal criterion for selection is academic achievement. Extracurricular involvement is also considered. 
  • Be accepted as a full-time student at Cal Maritime
  • Be a resident of a WICHE member state (listed above)

How do I apply for WUE?

No separate application is needed. WUE Scholarships are awarded to Cal Maritime applicants during the regular admission process. Students must apply to CMA online at www.csumentor.edu. WUE Scholarships are awarded based on academics and winners are notified in the acceptance letter. Awards are subject to verification of your official GPA at any time after we receive your official academic transcript.  

How do I stay in the WUE program?

To remain in Cal Maritime's WUE program in subsequent years, you must maintain residency in a non-California WICHE state, complete a minimum of 12 graded credit hours per semester, and maintain a minimum cumulative Cal Maritime GPA of:

  • 2.25 for Freshman
  • 2.50 for Sophomore, Junior, and Senior students

You may participate in the program for a maximum of eight semesters.

Can I switch from the WUE program to the lower, "in-state" tuition after entering Cal Maritime?  

Students must pay full "out-of-state" tuition for one year after exiting the WUE program before he or she can qualify for "in-state" tuition, assuming all other residency criteria for "in-state"  tuition is satisfied.
Questions? Contact the Financial Aid Office