Law Legal Plan – Prepaid Legal Plan
The group legal plan, called MetLaw, is provided by Hyatt Legal Plans, a MetLife company. This plan provides representation for many personal legal services for you and your eligible dependents. Covered legal services performed by a network attorney are fully paid for by the plan.
New employees may enroll in the plan within 60 days of employment or during open enrollment. All employees except faculty participating in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) and rehired annuitants are eligible for the legal plan.
- For more information, visit MetLife
- Eligible employees must enroll in the plan(s) within 60 calendar days of employment (or re-employment, if there has been a break of service of more than 30 calendar days).
- If you did not enroll as a new employee, the next opportunity will be during open enrollment. Open enrollment occurs annually (date is determined by CalPERS) and usually in the fall with all changes taking effect on January 1st of the following year.
- Cancellation of the plan for the next calendar year must be completed during Open Enrollment or the plan will continue.
- The 2019 monthly premium for this plan is $21.70 and covers you, your spouse or domestic partner and dependent children.
- Consultations by telephone or in-person consultations are covered services.
- Some of the services covered include: identity theft defense, personal bankruptcy, tax audits, defense of civil lawsuits, document preparation, adoption or guardianship, real estate matters, traffic matters, wills and estate planning.
- Attorney fees are fully paid for by the plan when you use a plan attorney. You also have the flexibility to use a non-plan attorney, reimbursement is according to a set fee schedule.
- If there is a discrepancy between this information and the official plan documents and contracts, the official documents will always govern.
- To enroll, call 800-438-6388; or
- Visit the MetLife website.
How to Use the Plan
- Once enrolled, go to MetLife website or call MetLaw Legal Plans at 800-438-6388
- A representative will confirm your eligibility and give you the name, address and telephone number of the attorney(s) located conveniently near you as well as a case number.
- Contact the attorney to schedule an appointment.
- Plan attorneys will do all billing for you. If you use a non-plan attorney you will need to pay the services directly and submit billing for reimbursement, based on a set fee schedule.