Continuing CalPERS Health Coverage After Age 65
A few months before you turn 65, CalPERS will send you notifications of the requirements to continue your health coverage. The notifications request information about your eligibility or ineligibility to enroll in Medicare.
Requirements to Continue Your CalPERS Health Coverage
Before you turn 65, you must meet these requirements to continue your CalPERS health coverage:
- Apply for Medicare by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you qualify for Medicare Part A at no cost because either you or your qualified spouse worked for 40 quarters in Social Security/Medicare-covered employment, you must also enroll in Medicare Part B as soon as you're first eligible.
- When you enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B two to three months prior to your 65th birth month, CalPERS will work with the CMS to obtain your Medicare information and automatically transfer you from a CalPERS Basic (non-Medicare) health plan to a CalPERS Medicare health plan. If CalPERS is unable to obtain your Medicare information from CMS, you'll need to complete and submit the Certification of Medicare Status (PDF) form to CalPERS with copies of supporting documentation for manual processing.
- If you're ineligible for Medicare Part A at no cost, or if you're deferring enrollment in Medicare Part B due to current working status and covered under an employer group health plan, you must complete the Ineligibility of Medicare Certification (PDF) form.
- Submit the Ineligibility of Medicare Certification form to CalPERS with copies of supporting documentation prior to your 65th birth month to prevent cancelation of your CalPERS health coverage. You may remain in a Basic (non-Medicare) health plan if you're ineligible for Medicare.
- Review your CalPERS 2017 Medicare Plan Options (PDF) or 2018 Medicare Plan Options (PDF). Transitioning from a Basic (non-Medicare) health plan into a Medicare health plan is an opportunity to change health plans. Not all Basic (non-Medicare) health plans have a corresponding Medicare health plan available. You may request to change health plans when you provide your Medicare eligibility information. If you do not choose a Medicare health plan, CalPERS will automatically enroll you in a Medicare health plan.
For next steps, view the Transitioning to a Medicare Health Plan section below, and visit Medicare Plan Changes.