An employee covered by a CSU health plan has a right to choose continuation coverage if group health coverage is lost because:
1. Of a reduction in work hours; or
2. The termination of employment (other than due to gross misconduct).
Spouse or Domestic Partner Eligibility
A spouse or domestic partner of an employee, covered by a CSU health plan, has the right to choose continuation coverage if group health coverage is lost for any of the following reasons:
1. The death of the employee;
2. Termination of employee's employment or reduction in employee's work hours;
3. porce, legal separation, or dissolution of domestic partnership from the employee; or
4. Employee becomes entitled to Medicare.
Dependent Child Eligibility
A dependent child of a covered employee has the right to continuation coverage if group health coverage is lost for any of the following reasons:
1. The death of the parent (employee);
2. The termination of the parent's employment or reduction in the parent's work hours with the CSU;
3. The parents' porce, legal separation, or dissolution of domestic partnership;
4. The parent (employee) becomes entitled to Medicare; or
5. The dependent ceases to be a "dependent child" under the CSU health plan.
If an employee does not choose continuation coverage, the employee's coverage will end. However, the employee's spouse or domestic partner and/or eligible dependents may elect continuation coverage, independent of the employee's rejection.
Effective Date of Coverage
COBRA coverage is effective from the date of the qualifying event. The CSU must notify eligible employees of their right to choose continuation coverage within fourteen (14) days of the qualifying event. An employee's COBRA rights will be forfeited if the CSU does not receive notification of the employee's wish to continue coverage within sixty (60) days of the qualifying event or date of the notification.
Following the sixty (60) day election period, an employee or eligible dependents have forty-five (45) days from the date of enrollment to pay for the continued coverage. The first payment will include the cost of coverage beginning with the first date coverage would have otherwise ended. After the initial payment, the required monthly premium is due before each month of coverage. Coverage will be cancelled if payment is not received within the thirty day grace period following each payment due date.
COBRA premium rates are paid for by the participant. The CSU does not pay any portion of the COBRA premium. Rates are calculated at 102%.
CalPERS Employer Contact Center:
Phone: (888) 225-7377
Delta Dental Wolfpack Insurance Services:
Phone: (800) 296-0192
Vision Service Plan (VSP):
Phone: (800) 877-7195
Health Care Reimbursement Account
Phone: (800) 659-3035