SEAS is committed to enhancing the writing skills of Cal Maritime students by establishing a pilot program to:
- Support students in writing clearly and concisely
- Improve written communication skills for classes and the professional world.
- Understand that writing is a complex process.
- Assist with grammatical concepts.
- Develop ideas to support a focused thesis statement.
- Cite sources for academic audiences
- Understand rhetorical strategies.
- Create outlines to organize complex ideas.
- Critique drafts of writing assignments on request.
- Provide online resources to gain confidence in writing skills
Writing at an academic level can be a leap for many people. From the format of the paper to proper citation and elevated grammar expectations, it can be a lot to take in. With that in mind, we've developed a handy college writing guide that can be used by students, or writers in general, at any level.
You can review the guide here: http://www.onlinecolleges.net/for-students/academic-writing-guide/
In order to make the guide both easy and helpful, we've divided it into a few sections:
- Types of Academic Writing: Argument Papers, Research Papers, Expository Papers, Exam Essays, and Academic Proposals
- Common Writing Pitfalls: Includes grammar, punctuation, and commonly misspelled words
- Citations: MLA, APA, and Chicago are all explained, with examples of each.