Founded in 1929 as the "California Nautical School," California State University Maritime Academy is celebrating 90 years of service as a center for excellence in education and research in maritime trade and transportation.
The Academy was first located in Tiburon, on the Marin Peninsula north of San Francisco. In 1940,with war looming, relocation to San Francisco became necessary. The current campus home was established in Vallejo in 1943.
In the early days, only three-year deck and engineering programs were offered. These days, the Academy offers six undergraduate majors -- with Oceanography becoming the seventh in the fall of 2019 -- as well as an online master's program and continuing education classes. Since joining the California State University in 1995, the campus has undergone a startling tranformation, but the Academy's mission to train and develop leaders for the maritime and related industries endures.
90th Anniversary History Book
In honor of Cal Maritime's 90th anniversary, Dr. Gary Reichard, former interim provost and vice president for academic affairs at Cal Maritime has written a new, expansive history of the Academy.
We will be celebrating Cal Maritime's 90th Anniversary throughout the entire 2019-2020 academic year. We invite you to attend the various events below and visit campus to see how much has changed over the years.
If would like to support Cal Maritime's continuing mission to provide high quality programs and promote academic excellence, please consider making a donation.