Golden Bear Research Center
A U.S. Coast Guard approved sub-contracted laboratory for land based and shipboard type-approval testing of Ballast Water Management Systems.
The GBRC is an experienced United States testing facility onboard the Training Ship Golden Bear dedicated to creating, promoting, and facilitating solutions to the maritime industry's current and future environmental challenges.
- Bench-scale to pilot testing of ballast water management systems and components
- "Plug and play" Land-based and shipboard type approval testing at the same facility
- Shipboard testing of BWMS installed on vessels
- BWMS operation and maintenance testing
- Performance testing of filters and other BWMS components
- BWMS Commissioning testing
- Vessel General Permit compliance sampling and analysis
- BWMS Compliance testing
- Whole effluent toxicity and disinfection by-product testing
- Scale-up modelling
- Year round availability of testing
GBRC is a unique and practical environment for testing ballast water management systems to International Maritime Organization (IMO) and United States Coast Guard (USCG) standards. Our team's primary focus is to evaluate the mechanical and biological efficacy of these systems in a realistic, onboard environment. We believe that by making green technologies a part of the experience and knowledge base of our future graduates, we can influence the future direction of the maritime industry. By increasing the environmental awareness and stewardship of our future mariners we hope to provide the industry with greater credentials and an enhanced reputation.
Technologies relating to exhaust emissions, solid waste stream, oil pollution, hull fouling and other potential environmental risks to the marine environment draw equal interest and engagement of our students and faculty providing impetus for discussion and learning.
Combining the expertise of the Cal Maritime's operations team, the biological oceanography research group at the California State University's Moss Landing Marine Laboratories, and Pacific EcoRisk Environmental Consulting, GBRC provides vendors with the testing required for an independent third-party certification needed for IMO and USCG Type Approval of ballast water management systems.