Strategic Sealift Officer Program (USNR)
Strategic Sealift Officer Detachment 71
Serve part-time in the Navy Reserve while pursuing your career as a merchant mariner!
The SSO community merges the expertise of the merchant mariner with the warfighting capabilities of a naval officer. In peacetime, the merchant mariner represents the economic strength of our nation, while in times of conflict, the SSO represents the ability to project and sustain the combat power of our nation.
About the SSOP Detachment 71
- Our mission is to develop mentally, morally, and physical fit officers imbued with the highest ideals of duty and loyalty for service in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
- The SSOP offers license-track students additional training, certification, leadership, and career opportunities that go beyond what a normal student receives.
- As part of their naval science curriculum, Midshipmen frequently interact and network with industry, government, and military leaders through a curated lecture series. Upon completion of the required courses, Midshipmen also earn a Minor in Naval Science.
- SSO Midshipmen can look forward to a career as a navy reserve officer, serving two weeks of active duty per year as a merchant marine subject matter expert to the navy. In addition, there are many opportunities to volunteer for long-term orders both in the United States and at overseas duty stations such as Singapore, Japan, Italy, Hawaii, Bahrain, and many others.
- Upon commissioning, SSOP officers can enjoy many of the same benefits as their active duty counterparts, including pension, GI Bill, VA benefits, additional pay, and healthcare.
- SSO Midshipmen set the standard for all cadets on campus and are leaders not only within the Unit but within the entire campus community.