What items do you suggest to bring for a comfortable residential experience?

Move-in List can be found at Housing & Residential Life.


Will the University make sure my student will take the required courses?

Fulfilling course requirements is primarily the student's responsibility. Students can meet with academic advisors in their major department for requirement advising. The University does, however, monitor students who are required to take ESL or remedial courses.


What is the proper procedure for notifying a student in case of a family emergency?

If you need to contact your student in an emergency, please call Police Services at 707-654-1176.


What are the minimum standards for satisfactory academic performance?

To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average and must pass all remedial classes within a year of entering Cal Maritime. Falling below this standard results in academic probation and can eventually lead to dismissal from the University.


Is my student being notified of all important deadlines?

It is the student's responsibility to have a copy of the schedule of classes, which includes many important dates and deadlines and to obtain information on other important deadlines.  Some information is sent to a student's email, campus, or permanent/ home address.  It is very important that a student notifies the campus when he or she has a change of address, phone number, or email.  If you receive a letter from the University addressed to your student, please notify the student immediately.  It may include time sensitive information.  


What is STCW?

STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers)  is a set of standards established by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) under which MMA must comply. All cadets in the US Coast Guard license programs will have to meet the STCW standards. They are a detailed series of practical demonstrations of competence that each cadet must accomplish in front of a certified examiner. The USCG is responsible for assuring that the US is in compliance with STCW.


Do I really need to stay for Parent/Family Orientation?

Any parent who has enjoyed parents' orientation can confirm that it is NOT to be missed. It introduces you to the resources that will help you out throughout your student's stint at Cal Maritime, and give you insight into the environment/structure of the campus. You will get some ideas on what happens in a variety of situations…it's hard to believe, but SOMETIMES students don't tell their parents the whole story, can you imagine that? It definitely builds a relationship between you and the professionals who will be responsible for your student at school. It is also comforting to see other parents dropping off their students just like you. You really need to be there if at all possible.


What if my student has a disability?

If your student has a diagnosed disability, you may contact Accessibility & Disability Services Office in the Student Services Building for further information regarding eligibility for services, campus resources, and how to seek academic accommodations. 


Does my student's academic progress affect their financial aid?

Federal and State regulations require the Financial Aid Office to monitor the academic progress of students. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards apply to undergraduate students who wish to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility. For more details visit /web/financial-aid/home