Forklift Safety Program
Last Updated: 03/06/2018
The purpose of the Injury Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) is to outline Cal Maritime's
environmental health and safety requirements, expectations, and responsibilities in
order to achieve effective campus safety performance through Integrated Safety Management
(ISM). The Forklift Safety Program is a subject specific component the supports the overall University IIPP.
Note: Training Ship Golden Bear (TSGB) is regulated under MARAD. For operations pertaining to the TSGB - Refer to Shoreside Administration Manual
(SAM) and Vessel Operations Manual (VOM).
Description: This program guides all aspects of the Forklift and Industrial Lift Truck
Safety Program for Cal Maritime. As mandated by Cal/OSHA and other regulatory compliance
codes, this program guides compliance with, and application of, all legal requirements
for Cal Maritime departments, field stations and work / research operations that use
these types of equipment.
Departments that own, lease, rent and/or otherwise operate forklifts and other types
of industrial lift trucks must:
1. Select and then purchase, lease or rent appropriate equipment for job tasks based
upon an work-environment and job-task hazard analysis,
2. Train and license personnel who operate the specific type(s) of owned / rented
3. Conduct documented safety inspections and preventive maintenance of the equipment,
4. Assure operators adhere to specific safe-work practices whenever using these types
of powered industrial equipment, and
5. Approve Contractors / Vendors to use forklifts and industrial lift equipment on
their premises, and only allow properly licensed contractor / vendor personnel to
use Department-owned equipment.
|| Report a Safety Concern
Click on the icon to submit the form