Military Veterans and Active Duty Military
"What is the next available entry term?"
- Fall 2021 (apply at www.calstate.edu/apply) for the following majors:
- Business Administration - International Business & Logistics
- Global Studies and Maritime Affairs
- Facilities Engineering Technology
- Marine Engineering Technology
- Fall 2022 (apply from Oct. 1, 2021 to Nov. 30, 2021 for the following major:
- Marine Transportation
- Mechanical Engineering
"How can I apply?"
Apply online at www.calstate.edu/apply. You will be asked which Cal State campus you want. On the campus list, we are listed as "Maritime Academy." There is a $70.00 application fee required when you submit the online application.
"As a Veteran, can some exceptions be made for me regarding admission deadlines and academic requirements for admission?"
Cal Maritime has some flexibility regarding academic requirements for entrance and admission deadlines for military veterans. This is part of the CSU system-wide effort to prioritize educating those who have given their service to the United States. If you need such flexibility, please contact the Cal Maritime Admission Office using the methods at the bottom of the left-hand column and identify yourself as a military veteran or active-dutymilitary member . We will do our best to work with you to achieve your educational goals as quickly as possible.
Note - While the Admission Office can waive certain admission requirements and deadlines, all Veterans must pass (with a grade of at least C-) two courses: college-level English and college-level math such as college algebra by the end of the Spring semester prior to enrollment. Also, Cal Maritime degrees requiring the U.S. Coast Guard License (Marine Transportation, Marine Engineering Technology and the licensed version of Mechanical Engineering) will take no less than four years to complete after entering Cal Maritime regardless of the number of transfer units or other advanced credit a student may be granted.
"Where can I find out about the CSU's 'Troops to College' Initiative and how it can benefit me?"
"What items are required for your office to make an admission decision?"
A completed online application, the $70.00 application fee, and all official high school and college transcripts.
"How can I determine if I qualify for admission?"
You will be evaluated as a First-Time Freshman or Transfer applicant. To find qualifications for those two categories, find those words on the left under "I want to apply."
"What are your recruitment policies regarding your MOU with the Department of Defense?"
In accordance with the Department of Defense (DoD) MOU agreement, California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) -Admission Office shall not engage in unscupulous student recruitment, admission activities or making decision regarding the awards of student financial assistance for the purpose of securing service member enrollments.
- Department of Defense, MOU, paragraph 3.j.(2), institutions are required to “Refrain from providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including Tuition Assistance funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.”
- Department of Defense, MOU, paragraph 3.j.(3), institutions are required to "Refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.”
- Department of Defence, MOU, Paragraph X.x.(x), institutions are required to “Provide evidence that the institution directs Service members to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling the student in the institution.”
Cal Maritime abides by the National Association for College Admission Counseling’s (NACAC) Guide to Ethical Practice in College Admission. https://www.nacacnet.org/globalassets/documents/advocacy-and-ethics/nacac_guide-to-ethical-practice-in-college-admission_sept.-2020_final.pdf.
In addition – Cal Maritime directs Service members to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling at Cal Maritime.