Strategic Sealift Midshipman Program (SSMP)
Strategic Sealift Midshipman Program
Serve part-time in the Navy Reserve while pursuing your career as a merchant mariner!
The Strategic Sealift Officer (SSO) community merges the expertise of the merchant mariner with the warfighting capabilities of a naval officer. In peacetime, the SSO represents the economic strength of our nation, while in times of conflict, the SSO represents the ability to project and sustain the combat power of our nation.
About the SSMP
- Our mission is to develop mentally, morally, and physical fit officers imbued with the highest ideals of duty and loyalty for service in the U.S. Navy Reserve.
- The SSMP offers license-track students additional training and certification as well as unique leadership and career opportunities.
- Midshipmen frequently interact and network with industry, government, and military leaders. Upon completion of the required courses, Midshipmen also earn a Minor in Naval Science.
- SSO Midshipmen can look forward to a career as a Navy Reserve officer, serving two weeks of active duty per year as a merchant marine subject matter expert to the Navy. In addition, there are many opportunities to volunteer for long-term orders both in the United States and at overseas duty stations such as Singapore, Japan, Italy, Hawaii, and Bahrain.
- Upon commissioning, Strategic Sealift Officers can enjoy many of the same benefits as their active duty counterparts, including pension, GI Bill, VA benefits, additional pay, and healthcare.
- SSO Midshipmen set the standard for all cadets on campus and are leaders not only within the Unit but within the entire campus community.
For more information about the SSMP, please visit NETC.