Cal Maritime accepts applications from transfer students with college work from other educational institutions.  Transfer students compose approximately one third of each entering class. Applicants may be lower division (LD) or upper division (UD) transfer students. Lower division students have fewer than 60 semester transferrable units (or 90 quarter units). 

Below are links to information about specific requirements for lower-division and upper-division transfer.

Transfer Success Pathways Program

Designed to provide additional support on your transfer path to Cal Maritime. If you are enrolling in one of the 116 California community colleges, you could be eligible for a dual admission program that gives you a chance to pursue your bachelor's degree with us. Eligible students can apply to the program in order to:

  • Receive guarantee admission to one of the following programs:
    • Business Administration
    • International Strategy and Security
    • Marine Transportation
    • Mechanical Engineering (non-license option)
    • Oceanography
  • Receive personalized guidance to create an educational plan to help you meet all requirements and transfer within three years or less
  • Map out your coursework using the CSU Transfer Planner portal to remain on track

Create your transfer planner account today!

Students Seeking a Second Bachelor's Degree

Applications are also accepted from individuals who have received a bachelor's degree wishing to complete a second college degree.  Cal Maritime accepts academically qualified students seeking a second Bachelors Degree.

  • 5% of the entering transfer students already have a bachelor's degree

Applicants seeking a second bachelor's degree are subject to Upper Division Transfer admission requirements. Use the information for upper-division transfer students to determine the admission requirements applicable to your desired major. Additional information pertaining to Second Degree Applicants are found on the Second Degree page.

About the U.S. Coast Guard License program

Any major requiring completion of a U.S. Coast Guard License for graduation entails four-years of study at Cal Maritime (within their intended major) even if the student has completed a bachelor's degree and/or has many transfer units. This is due to the specialized nature of coursework at Cal Maritime.