Web Content Display Web Content Display


Commonly Asked Questions

When is my Fall 2019 bill due? 


Fall 2019 bills go out on July 16, 2019 and are due on August 9, 2019. You can view your bill in your Student Center through PeopleSoft- Student Systems Portal  at your Student  Center. If you have financial aid it will show as "Pending" on your bill under "Account Summary." The actual financial aid (grants, scholarships and "accepted" loans) will not be credited to your student account until the first day of classes and refunds, if applicable, will be sent out by the Cashier's Office later that week.  Please plan to pay for your books out of pocket. If you are receiving a refund form your financial aid you can reimburse yourself when refunds are available. For more information on Billing and Payments click HERE.


If your aid is not reflected on your bill you may need to check your "To Do" list to see if you have outstanding items that need to be taken care of. Please read the FAQs below for more answers to your questions.


How do I know how much I owe?

Based on your enrollment in classes you will be assessed charges in mid July and the bill will be due in early August.  To view your bill please visit your Student Self Service  (PeopleSoft-Student Systems) under "Account Activity" to view all charges and fees. To view your "Balance Due" and  "Pending Financial Aid" click on "Account Inquiry." You can contact the Cashier's Office at 707 654-1528 for further questions regarding your bill.

How does my Financial Aid pay my bill?  

Students are charged tuition and fees and room and board (if living on campus). All Financial Aid is divided half for Fall and half for Spring. Your financial aid disbursement will credit your Student Account and apply towards any charges you have incurred for the term. If you have more charges than financial aid, you will need to pay the difference. If you have more aid than charges, you will get a refund.  


When will the refund come?

Students will not receive refunds until the start of the term. After the term begins refunds are generated and those that are mailed will take 5-7 days depending on the mail delivery service. Students with Direct Deposit set up with the Accounting Office will find that refunds take 2-3 days. You can sign up for Direct Deposit using Self Service through PeopleSoft- Student Systems (student portal).

How does my parent get a refund from their PLUS Loan?

If your parent wants the refund sent to them based on their PLUS Loan they must submit the Parent PLUS Loan Disbursement Authorization form along with the Parent PLUS Loan Application request to the Financial Aid Office. These forms must be submitted together.  Please note refunds will be issued based on the order of payments received. For example: if the PLUS loan is received last resulting in a refund, the refund will be issued to the parent. If a student payment is received subsequent to the PLUS causing a refund, the student will received the refund.



The Financial Aid Process:


How do I apply for Financial Aid? 

Students apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid- or FAFSA. The priority deadline to complete the FAFSA is March 2. However, you can apply at anytime during the year starting October 1, 2018 for the 2019-2020 academic year. Applications can be completed online at www.fafsa.gov. Our federal school code is 001134.


Where does my FAFSA go once I submit it?

Your FAFSA information is shared with the colleges you list on the application. The financial aid office uses your information to determine how much federal, state, and campus aid you may receive.


How do I apply for the Cal Grant?

Your FAFSA information is transmitted to the California Student Aid Commission – the state agency that is responsible for determining initial eligibility for the Cal Grant. Entering students should also complete a GPA Verification Form which can be found on the Commission's website HEREThe deadline to submit your GPA Verification Form is also March 2.


Do I have to file my FAFSA every year?

Yes, in order to be considered for any finanical aid  (including loans) you must file every year. You can file for the 2020-2021 FAFSA begining October 1, 2019.


What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?   

The Expected Family Contribution - or EFC - is the amount of money the U.S. Department of Education determines you can reasonably contribute towards your education for the year. It is the number used to determine your eligibility for financial aid and comes from the information you provided on the FAFSA and on the verification documents.  


How will I receive my Financial Aid Award Letter?

You will receive an email notification telling you to go online to your Self Service in PeopleSoft-Student Systems.


Where do I access my Award Letter?

Please check your Student Portal and log into your "PeopleSoft-Student Systems" account. You can view your Award Letter at your "Student Center" by clicking on "View Financial Aid."  If you have been selected for a process called Verification, we will notify you of your financial aid awards when you have submitted all requested Verification documents and we've had a chance to review them. 


How do I accept my Financial Aid awards?

Grants will be automatically accepted for you. If you want to accept the loans offered, you can do so through Self Service in PeopleSoft- Student Systems (student portal).  Parents wishing to borrow the PLUS loan should click HERE at  and click on "Parent Borrowers" to complete the on-line application.


I got selected for a process called "Verification." Did I do something wrong?

No – you didn't do anything wrong! The Department of Education determines who is selected for verification. In this process, Cal Maritime will compare the information you provided on your FAFSA to information submitted to the IRS and/or other forms. If selected, you will need to submit verification documents to the Financial Aid Office. The most common requests are income verification forms, tax transcripts, and household size verification forms. For more information about this process, click HERE.


How do I get to my "To Do" list to find out what I need to submit for Verification? 

Click HERE for an easy to follow guide on how to navigate to your "To Do" list found in Self Services in your Student Portal (through PeopleSoft- Student Services).


Is there a deadline for me to submit the Verification documents?

The priority deadline to submit your Verification documents and to "complete" your financial aid file for 2019-20 is May 1, 2019. We cannot provide you with an offer of aid until you have submitted any and all Verification documents to the Financial Aid Office.  The sooner you complete your file, the sooner we can provide you with an offer of aid!

Other Common Questions:

My family has had a change in our financial situation that isn't reflected on the FAFSA. Is there anything I can do?

If you or your family has unusual circumstances (such as loss of employment, loss of benefits, death, or divorce), let us know! If your family‘s circumstances have changed from the tax year 2017, we may be able to take that into consideration when determining eligibility for aid. You may be asked to document the changes, but we can help you along the way.  Click HERE for the Parent Income Appeal form or HERE for the Student Income Appeal form.

How long to I have to accept my loans?

Student Loans are available each year but there are time-based limitations to the loans.  You must accept the loans at least three weeks before the end of the semester as it is a mutiple step process for the Financial Aid Office to disburse loans.  We cannot pay the loans once the academic year (end of the Spring term) has ended.

Why is my aid package different from the previous year?

There are many reasons your aid might be different from the previous year(s). Your financial aid is based on the Estimated Family Contribution derived from your FAFSA each year. If your family's financial situation changed from previous the prior year it may be reflected in the amount of aid you qualify for. You may have more or less siblings in collgee or your household size changed. You also have a limited amount of financial aid, in particular, the Pell Grant, Cal Grant, State University and Loan Programs all have varying time limits for eligibility. All of these factors can contribute to a change in your aid eligibility.

What will happen to my aid if I enroll less than Full Time? 

If you are enrolled less than Full Time for the term your Grants will be adjusted (prorated based on the number of units). If you are at least half time (6 units) for the term you may still recieve the full amount of your student loans. Please check with your Financial Aid Counselor to see how enrollment affects your aid eligibility.


How much does it cost to attend Cal Maritime?  

The Cost Of Attendance (COA) is used to estimate the costs to attend Cal Maritime for the academic year. The COA includes tuition and fees, food and housing, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation costs.


The only "direct billed" costs (items that the University will charge you for directly) are tuition and fees, food and housing (if living on campus) and the uniform. Other expenses, such as books and supplies, travel and miscellaneous expenses, and food and housing for off-campus students are estimates and your actual costs may be higher or lower. This can be useful in budgeting your monthly/term/yearly costs. The  COA for 2019-20 can be found HERE.



Will Financial Aid pay for my uniform?

Your Financial Aid does include a uniform allowance in your Cost of Attendance and may provide funding to help cover those additional costs based on students taking student loans and/or parents taking out a PLUS Loan. 


Do my parents have to apply for a PLUS Loan every year?

Yes, the PLUS loan is based on your parent's current credit score therefore they must apply every year. Please make sure to start this process well before the Fall payment is due in early August. It usually takes a minimum of seven business days to complete the credit check and Promissory Note needed to secure the loan. They can apply HERE at  and click on "Parent Borrowers" to complete the on-line application. 


Where can I get more scholarships?

Please visit our scholarship webpage for insitutional scholarship resources at https://www.csum.edu/web/financial-aid/scholarships. For Outside Scholarship Resources at https://www.csum.edu/web/financial-aid/scholarships/outside-scholarships and for Maritime Specific Scholarships at https://www.csum.edu/web/financial-aid/other-resources


Can I get Summer Aid?

Yes, but only for courses taken at Cal Maritime through our "state supported" term.  Pell Grants, State University Grants and student loans, based on eligibility, are available for Cal Maritime coursework and Cruise. We package aid based on enrollment in summer classes. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be considered eligible for aid.  We also offer Parent Loans (PLUS Loans) and private educational loans. 


Unlike the Academic year, we award students who are eligible for financial aid only AFTER they have registered for the summer term. Budgets are based on specific courses. Cruise and International Experience have budgets that include tuition and fees, books and supplies, transportation and living costs. On-line course budgets only include tuition and fees and books and supplies but not living expenses.


ATTENTION:  Because the Summer Term begins only a couple of days after Spring Finals, summer aid cannot be disbursed until all Spring grades are posted and the Satisfactory Academic Progress of every student with aid has been reviewed. If grades are late then aid will be delayed. Students should not expect aid to post to their student account or refunds processed until the end of the first week of the Summer Term, if not later.  Students should plan ahead for personal expenses until their refunds are available and sign up for Direct Deposit through the Cashier's Office.


How can I give access to my parents/spouse regarding my Financial Aid?

You can go to this site for instructions on setting up access. Be very specific as to the name(s) and relationships as well as the limitations of access you wish to give.

Where can I find information about the average loan indebtedness at Cal Maritime?

The Common Data Set (Section H) has data on all financial aid including the average loan debt of the most recent graduating class. Click here.


Scroll Up
Staging Enabled