Cal Maritime Cadet Emergency Grant
The Cadet Emergency Grant supports cadets experiencing a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses, causing financial hardship. This program is designed to assist in situations where the emergency may impede academic progress, and for those who cannot reasonably resolve their financial difficulty through other resources. Emergency grants reimburse actual expenses and do not have to be repaid. Cadets should complete a Cadet Emergency Grant Application and submit it by email with supporting documentation to the Office of the Dean of Cadets. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Must have exhausted all financial aid options including student federal loans
- Must be a full-time cadet enrolled in a degree program at Cal Maritime and be in good academic standing
- Those with a GPA below 2.0 (CSUM and Cumulative) may appeal to be considered
- Record of good conduct
Maximum of $500. Cadets may be awarded no more than one emergency grant per academic year.
Eligible expenses including but not limited to:
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
- Homelessness due to loss of housing
- Documented theft or damage of books and other essential academic belongings
- Unrecoverable loss of transportation to and from school
- Sudden loss of childcare to cover academic schedule period
- Fire or theft, or to mee other personal safety needs
- Full or partial student tuition/fees
- Legal representation
- Parking tickets
- Entertainment, recreation or other non-essential expenses
- Financial challenges exclusively related to budgeting with a limited income; must demonstrate a one-time crisis
- Email completed application with documentation to email@example.com
- Committee will review (allow two to five business days for a decision). Applicants may be required to provide supporting documentation.
- Grant selection: The Cal Maritime Emergency Grant Committee (Dean of Students/designee, University Advising representative, Office of Financial Aid representative and other Administration & Finance representative) will review application and make their recommendation to the Vice President of Cadet Leadership and Development.
The Division of Cadet Leadership and Development, in accordance with applicable University rules and policies, administers this program. Funding for this Emergency Grant Program comes from the generous donations of alumni and friends of Cal Maritime.