Required Health Insurance
Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
Due to the special nature of the educational experience at The CSU Maritime Academy (CSUM) all enrolled students are required to carry and show proof of health insurance that meets the minimum insurance requirements to waive and travel assistance throughout their academic career. As a CSUM student, you are automatically enrolled in and charged for the school-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan unless an online insurance waiver is completed and approved. Students with comparable coverage who are granted a waiver from the school's health insurance, will be charged $20 each semester for the required travel assistance.
Link to ONLINE HEALTH INSURANCE WAIVER- OPEN. Submit your insurance requests annually each summer (May-August). JCB Insurance Solutions Student Customer Service Line (707) 692-3043.
Waiver Period FAQ's for after the waiver has closed
- Q: When does the insurance waiver period open again?
A: The waiver period is open annually from late Spring to early Fall. For students not attending in the Fall but attending in the Spring waivers will be considered separately from the Fall waiver process.
- Q: Why is the waiver application process closed now?
A: The waiver application period has ended and is closed so that student fee processing can be completed.
- Q: How are students notified about the waiver period?
A: Several email notifications are sent annually to students via their csum.edu email addresses. Reminders are placed on the Portal and Student Health Center and Cal Maritime Families Facebook pages. Postcards are sent out annually to students' listed permanent addresses. A pop-up reminder was present on the PeopleSoft registration webpage so students were reminded about the waiver deadline when they registered for classes. Reminders for students on cruise are posted in the Bears Tale.
- Mandatory Health Insurance and Travel Assistance Policy
- What is Travel Assistance? What does it cover?
- On Call Brochure (AY 2020/2021)
- On Call International
- Aetna Student Health Insurance Benefit Handbook 2020/2021
- Aetna Student Health Insurance Benefit Information and ID cards for 2020/2021
- Aetna Student Assistance Program
- Aetna Fitness
- Aetna Kick Butts
- Aetna Natural Products and Services
- Aetna Local Hospitals
- CSU Health Center Claim Forms
- Aetna Medical Benefits Claim Form (For reimbursement for paid services with an outside provider)
- Pharmacy Claim Form (For reimbursement for paid prescriptions/Immunizations)
The Online Health Insurance Waiver for Academic Year (AY) 2020/21 is Open. Cal Maritime students who have not been granted a waiver will automatically be enrolled in the campus Student Health Insurance Plan and charged for it through their student fees once the waiver closes.
If you have your own personal health insurance or are a dependent on your parent or guardian's health insurance policy, please review the minimum insurance requirements to waive to see if you qualify for a waiver. Students with comparable coverage and who are granted a waiver from the school's health insurance, will be automatically enrolled in, and charged $20 per semester for, the required travel assistance (see On Call International Travel Assistance Brochure).
You are encouraged to apply for a Health Insurance Waiver, if you:
- Are a new, transfer or returning student AND are already covered by a Health Insurance plan that meets the minimum requirements above; or,
- Are a continuing student and are covered by a Health Insurance plan that meets the specified minimum requirements.