Community Referrals

Reaching out for help is a sign of strength, and an important step towards your wellbeing.  You might have landed at this website after talking with a provider at CAPS, or you might have found this on your own, wanting to understand how to connect to other resources outside of Cal Maritime for your mental health support.  

There is a range of community providers and services that you might be interested in. Here are a few tips for finding a great local therapist.   

How to find a therapist 

  1. Call the customer service number on your insurance card and ask for a list of providers in your area, or visit your insurance carrier’s website and use the “find a doctor” (or similar) tool to find a list of providers in the area.
  2. Look at the list of agencies and low cost providers at the bottom of this page.  
  3. Use the Psychology Today Therapist Finder page: 
  4. If you're open to telehealth, use the Telehealth Search Option 
    • On the left hand side of the screen you are able to narrow your search by insurance carrier, presenting concern and other variables. 
    • Most therapists will share a picture or a short video, and write about their approach to counseling.  The profile can be a good first step in getting to know if it’s someone you want to work with or if you think it will be a good fit

Factors to Consider When Looking For a Therapist 

The relationship, or fit, between therapist and client accounts for over 80% of what works in therapy. Make sure you trust your therapist and feel comfortable with them. If you attend a session or two and you don’t feel good with the therapist, talk to the therapist about your concerns, or make plans to go somewhere else! 

Potential questions to ask therapists when you call. 

  • Are you taking new clients? 
  • How often can I be seen by you? (Once a week is fairly typical) 
  • What is the cost per session?  Do you have a sliding scale or low fee options? Are you able to provide a Superbill? (This is if you have a PPO Insurance) 
  • What is your therapy style?  How do you typically operate in session? 
  • Do you have any experience working with my type of concern? 

Do you have PPO or HMO Insurance? 

  • You can find out if you have a PPO or HMO by looking at your insurance card. 
  • If you have an HMO, you will need to see a therapist that is already "in network" with your insurance. See the steps above to find someone who is already in your network of providers. 
  • If you have a PPO, you can choose almost any therapist. Here’s how that works: 
    • You pay the therapist’s fees up front. 
    • The therapist will provide you with a Superbill, which is a detailed receipt for your insurance company. 
    • You can submit that Superbill to your insurance for full or partial reimbursement (depending on your insurance). 
      • There is an app called Better Claimsthat makes this process easy. Just take a picture of your insurance card and your Superbill and they take care of the rest.

Always consult with your insurance carrier prior to your first appointment to be sure that they will cover a particular therapist. 

 If You Have Kaiser Permanente Insurance

In some instances, Kaiser Permanente will approve its members to receive services from community providers for mental health-related care on an outpatient basis.  In order to request this, call the Department of Psychiatry (NOT Member Services) in your Kaiser Permanente service area and explain why you are requesting treatment from a community provider (i.e., discuss your symptoms and lack of access to a Kaiser facility in Solano County).  If you are immediately refused, you can ask to speak to the manager and make your request to them.  You do not need a referral to the Department of Psychiatry from your PCP.   

Approval for these referrals generally comes after you have been assessed by a Kaiser Permanente provider in the Department of Psychiatry (at a Kaiser facility).  You will need to schedule an "Intake" with someone in that department and discuss your symptoms.  If you have been seeing a counselor, you can sign a Release of Information for your counselor to speak with your Kaiser-assigned provider.  Ultimately, the Kaiser provider you see in the Department of Psychiatry will make the referral to another treatment center.   

If You Have Medi-Cal Insurance or do not have insurance: Contact the Solano County Behavioral Health Services Department at 1-800-547-0495 to receive referrals and information.  


Community Mental Health Referrals

Intensive Outpatient Services 

Adventist Health Vallejo - Center for Behavioral Health
525 Oregon Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
(707) 649-4040


Inpatient Services 

Crestwood Vallejo
115 Oddstad Drive
Vallejo, CA 94589
(707) 552-0215

Low Fee Options 
Online therapy: 

631 Tennessee St Suite 101
Vallejo, CA 94590
(707) 244-6401

La Clinica (multiple locations)
415 Georgia Street, Vallejo, CA 94590

Aldea Children and Family Services
Napa, Fairfield, Santa Rosa

Community Resources for Students from Underrepresented Backgrounds


Neighboring County Mental Health Departments

Contra Costa County – Mental Health Services: 925-957-5150; 24 Hour Crisis Center: 1-888-678-7277

Sacramento County – Behavioral Health Services: (916) 875-7070; 24 Hour Services & Information Line: 1-888-881-4881

Yolo County – Alcohol, Drug, and Mental Health: (530) 662-8516; 24 Hour Crisis Hotline: 1-888-965-6647

Alameda County – Behavioral Health Care Services: (510) 567-8100; 24 hour Crisis Hotline: 1-800-309-2131

Napa County – Mental Health: (707) 259-8151; 24 hour Crisis Hotline: (707) 253-4711


Alternatives to seeing a licensed mental health provider: When your concerns are related to mild symptoms, the social environment, or more general wellbeing, you may benefit from peer counseling.   

Online Peer Counseling: There are a group of trained peers (not affiliated with Cal Maritime) available online.  There is a moderate fee for this services. Visit the Peer Collective website for additional information. 


Here are some specialty agencies you might consider: 

Addiction & Substance Use

Assessment & Testing 

Autism Spectrum Disorder 

Eating Disorders 



Veteran's Services