Spring 2022 Keelhauler Family Newsletter
Message from Kathleen McMahon
VP, Cadet Leadership & Development
Fall semester is almost upon us. We are excited at the prospect of meeting the new incoming class and their families. Let me share a bit about what we have been up to this summer.
- Commencement was glorious and heartwarming, with 220 graduates walking across the stage into a future for which their faculty and their Cal Maritime experiences fully prepared them.
- The TS Golden Bear had a bit of a delay in sailing out for Summer Cruise 1 due to Coast Guard inspections, and it experienced an unexpected mechanical hiccup before getting too far out. She was anchored in San Francisco Bay overnight while our training faculty, aided by their exemplary cadets, got things back on track. What a great learning experience for all involved. That is why we call the Golden Bear a learning laboratory! The Captain and faculty embraced every opportunity to make the training vessel full of meaningful and rewarding experiences. The cruise continued with ports of call in Seattle, San Diego, and Hawaii. It provided our cadets with experiential learning while building a stronger community with their peers. We welcomed them back on July 7. TS Golden Bear subsequently sailed out on Summer Cruise 2 under MARAD leadership on July 16.
- I am also delighted to share that approximately 40 cadets are cruising with our MARAD partners gaining invaluable offshore experience and meeting their USCG sea-time requirements.
- While many of our faculty, staff and cadets were working at sea or at internships, we on campus have been planning for the year ahead, and witnessing with excitement the daily progress on the addition of our newest building, Mayo Hall, on the waterfront.
- Orientation for new students and families begins on Sunday, August 21. Orientation Week extends from August 21 to August 27.
- We eagerly look forward tomove in for returning cadets on Sunday, August 28.
- Instruction for Fall 2022 will beginon August 29. Our 2022-23 Academic Calendar is available
As a parent of two college-going students, I want to remind each of you that campus resources are always available to assist students with academics, mental or physical health concerns, relationship issues, financial worries and more. My door is always open to students looking for guidance, support, or even to simply share how things are going.
I look forward to the start of a new year with gratitude, renewed energy, and commitment.
Please reach out to me if I can be of assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 5: 2022 Fall Payments are Due
October 3-7: Keelhauler Spirit Days
October 7-9: Family Weekend
Gratitude: The President’s Cabinet shared a big THANK YOU to our #TSGB “Triad" crew, Chief Engineer Adam Kleitman (’12), Chief Mate Stacy Shonk (’81), & Captain Darrin Muenzberg (’96) for navigating and working together to ensure a safe and memorable 2022#TSGB Summer Cruise. They each shared briefly about their voyage. Kleitman, thankful for the opportunity to share the responsibilities; Shonk emphasizing the amazing teamwork; and Captain Muenzberg on giving back to their alma mater, all citing the experience as a "labor of love.”
Visit here for more information on the Summer 2022 voyage.
Continued Inclusion Efforts: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council and the Human Resources Office of Diversity partnered to host Cal Maritime's First Annual Juneteenth Recognition Lunch
More information on Cal Maritime’s DEI efforts can be found here.
Cal Maritime Captures the Breeze: Cal Maritime had a fantastic week at the 2022 US Department of Energy Collegiate Wind Competition (CWC), finishing fourth overall, making many connections in the US Offshore Wind Industry, and, overall, just enjoying the in-person event after a two-year hiatus.
Click here for more on our team and their work.
We are proud to share that Cal Maritime Earns Top Marks in 2022 Money Magazine Ranking
Message from Cashier's & Financial Aid Offices
The 2022 Fall bills were sent out on July 15, 2022 and payments are due August 5, 2022. If you applied for financial aid and received an award package that aid will be reflected on your Student Account under ”Finances” “My Account” “Account Inquiry.” Financial aid will not payment the week before classes start. Until that time aid will show as “Pending.”
The 2022-2023 Fee Schedule, which lists all tuition, fees, lab fees and room and board costs can be found here: https://www.csum.edu/fiscal-services/media/2022-2023-schedule-of-fees1.pdf.
If you have a balance and need to make a payment you can do so on-line at https://commerce.cashnet.com/csumpay. Cashnet is available 24/7. If you have questions regarding your payment please contact the Cashier’s Office at (707) 654-1030 #6.
If you forgot to file your 2022-2023 FAFSA you can still do so but some types of aid might be limited based on availability. You can file your FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov.
If you have questions concerning your financial aid you can contact our office at (707) 654-1287 or email us at email@example.com.
You can find lots of good information about financial aid at https://www.csum.edu/financial-aid/index.html.
Academic success often begins with advising, which entails insight or direction to a student about an academic, social, or personal matters.
What's a University Advisor?
University Advisors support all Cal Maritime undergraduate students by helping them navigate university requirements, policies, and resources in order to achieve their academic goals.
Areas of focus include:
Developing a plan to complete all university requirements for graduation based on each student's individual situation and goals.
Coaching college skills: goal setting, time management, etc.
Informing students about all campus resources and services.
Partnering with Faculty Advisors for academic and major course advisement.
If your student has questions or needs help with resources, make sure they reach out a University Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketplace: Our Commitment
- To provide fresh and nutritious meal options where students thrive through the transformative power of food.
- To encourage cadets to focus on the importance of making informed food choices and developing mindful eating habits.
- To provide complete nutritional facts on all pre-packaged foods, including the fresh fruits and vegetables made available in the Marketplace produce section
- Foster a strong partnership with local food vendors who create well-balanced and delicious meals
- To provide a vast variety (1000 products) to meet cadets’ nutritional needs including fresh produce, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, non GMO, and organic food options.
- To invite cadet feedback to inform the development and growth of the Marketplace in support of our cadets
Cadets may contact Karen Goble, General Manager, for any assistance including support for any dietary needs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Keelhauler Family Contact:
Director, New Student & Family Programs