Math 100 Waiver
At Cal Maritime, Math 100 (College Algebra & Trigonometry) or Math 101 (College Algebra) are required for graduation based on your degree programs. Incoming students who meet the minimum qualifications for a Freshman Math waiver may choose to not take the course.
Qualifications for a Freshman Math Waiver
The student must either have:
- Passed both semesters of high school calculus (with a grade of at least "C-" in the second semester)
- Passed both semesters of high school pre-calculus/trigonometry (with a grade of at least "C-" in the second semester) along with at least a 570 Math SAT or 23 Math ACT
- Passed a semester of college algebra/trigonometry (CSU GE Area B4) (with a grade of at least "C-")
Petitioning For Your Freshman Math Waiver
If you meet one of the minimum requirements, please fill out the form below to petition for a Freshman Math waiver. This waiver means that you will NOT be enrolled in Freshman Math this Fall or Spring, and may be able to advance to the next math course in your curriculum sequence.
If you are an entering high school student and receive the Freshman Math waiver, bear in mind that you will still need to make up the 4 units through another course prior to graduation. You should contact your academic advisor and department chair when you begin classes to determine what additional courses you can use to fulfill your unit requirements for graduation.
After receiving your Freshman Math waiver, you may take any of the following steps:
- MET and FET majors: Enroll in Math 210 Calculus I
- IBL majors: Enroll in Math 105 Finite Math
- IBL and GSMA majors: Enroll in Math 107 Elementary Statistics
- OCN majors: Enroll in Math 210 Calculus I
- Enroll in any class required for your major with Math 100 as a prerequisite, provided you meet the other prerequisites for the class
- Choose to not be enrolled in any additional math course for the fall semester.
Declining Your Math 100 Waiver
If you WISH to petition for a waiver for Freshman Math at Cal Maritime, please indicate on the form below by June 18th, 2021.
If you elect to be enrolled in Freshman Math, please understand that if you stay in the class beyond the drop date for the class (typically, a week into the semester), you must remain in the class for the duration of the semester and may no longer receive the Freshman Math waiver.
The Office of the Registrar will create your initial schedule of classes for the Fall 2021 semester the last week of June. You will be able to edit your schedule in mid-July, and again the week of Orientation.
Maintaining Full Unit Load for Financial Aid
Please note that if you choose not to take Freshman Math in the fall and you do not take another course in place of Freshman Math, your unit load for the semester may drop below 12 units. 12 units is the minimum unit load for full-time student status. Students receiving financial aid must be full-time students.