Welcome to Cal Maritime
Whether you are packing your own bags for Orientation or preparing to send a family member we wish to give you a warm welcome.
This site is designed to be an easy way to find all the information you will need. For new cadets, you will visit here often to get up-to-date information, schedules, and download materials. For families, you will get arrival information and a schedule of family events.
Whatever brings you here, we wish you smooth sailing during this year's Orientation.
On behalf of all current cadets, faculty, staff, coaches, and administrators, we are very excited to connect with you during Virtual Orientation. Additionally, this page details arrival and move-in instructions for Marine Transportation and Engineering cadets enrolled in face-to-face instruction this Fall.
Virtual Orientation – August 4th through 7th
All incoming cadets should test their access to Brightspace, our online learning platform, which will house the Zoom links, videos, slides, and handouts for Virtual Orientation. If you cannot access Brightspace, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each day at 9:00am and 11:00am, cadet leaders as well as faculty and staff will host 15-minute check-ins and check-outs.
- It is encouraged that all incoming cadets use the time from check-in to check-out for reviewing daily orientation materials.
- All check-ins and check-outs will be recorded and posted to the Virtual Orientation site for those who cannot attend those live sessions.
- Thursday, August 6th, will give all cadets an opportunity to connect with their respective academic departments between 12:30pm and 2:30pm.
- These sessions will be recorded as well and the links to access those calls will be posted in Brightspace. For additional information or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Meet Your Faculty
On Thursday of virtual orientation you'll have a chance to meet and chat with some of your Deans, Department Chairs, and Professors. Some have created video introductions; others will be available live on Zoom to talk in real time.
All cadets, regardless of face-to-face or virtual instruction, will receive their uniforms. Cadets engaged in face-to-face instruction will receive their uniforms August 13th on campus.
- Cadets that are scheduled for virtual instruction will have the option to pick-up their uniforms or have them shipped to their home of record.
- Our bookstore, Keelhauler Shops, will provide an update with coordinating instructions for the pick-up and/or shipping options.
- For additional information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Move-in for Marine Transportation and all Engineering majors – August 13th
All cadets and their families (up to 2 visitors per Cadet) will be health and temperature screened prior to entering main campus in Lot O.
- Cadets will be required to either submit their negative COVID test results to the Health Center or sign-up to be tested on August 13th when they arrive on campus.
- Sign-up at the link here: COVID Test Information.
- All cadet items and clothes should be packed in bags or boxes (no loose items) so that our team can place them in their room. There will be a designated bag drop area near the testing/screening area.
- Cadets and their families are encouraged to participate in the drive-thru tour of campus ending with an outdoor photo prior to cadets heading to lower campus and families and friends heading home.
- Room assignments and designated arrival times for the 13th will be emailed separately to each cadet. If you need to make alternate arrangements, please contact us at email@example.com.
To submit your test results (a negative test within 7 days of Aug 13th) or if you have any questions for our Health Center, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about the residential halls or living aboard the TS Golden Bear, please contact email@example.com.
For questions relating to arrival or in-person orientation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out these links:
Did you know? In 1931, Cal Maritime, then known as the California Nautical School, had 56 cadets report aboard the Training Ship California State. The training ship took its inaugural cruise from San Francisco, down and around Cape Horn, and up to Washington D.C.