Health Care Reimbursement (HCRA)
The CSU offers eligible employees the opportunity to participate in a Heath Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA), or flexible spending account. A HCRA allows you to set aside a portion of your pay on a pre-tax basis to reimburse yourself for eligible health, dental and vision care expenses for you, your spouse or registered domestic partner and eligible dependents. You may contribute up to $2,700 each plan year through payroll deduction.
New employees may enroll in the plan within 60 days of employment or during open enrollment. All employees except faculty participating in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) and rehired annuitants may establish a HCRA.
HCRA Guidelines and Information
- The HCRA is administered by ASIFlex, a third-party administrator.
- Eligible employees must enroll in a plan(s) within 60 calendar days of employment (or re-employment, if there has been a break of service of more than 30 calendar days)
- You must re-enroll every year during the open enrollment period. Open enrollment occurs annually (date is determined by CalPERS) and is usually in the fall with all changes taking effect on January 1st of the following year.
- The annual maximum for a HCRA is $2,700; there is a $20 monthly minimum and $225 monthly maximum contribution.
- The first deduction is usually taken from the second paycheck following enrollment.
- Once coverage begins, you will not be able to change your contribution amount unless you have had a "change in status".
- Taxable income on an employee's annual W-2 statement will be reduced by the amount placed in the account.
- You must estimate your eligible expenses carefully. Any money left in your HCRA will be forfeited.
- A special-purpose Visa debit card that gives participants an easy, automatic way to pay for eligible expenses will automatically be issued to new HCRA participants in 2021.
- See the HCRA Debit Card FAQs for information
- To request a debit card complete the HCRA FSA Debit Card Request Form.
- More information on the HCRA can be found in the CSU HCRA Plan brochure.