Group Critical Illness Insurance, offered by The Standard, provides a lump-sum payment to cover out-of-pocket medical expenses and costs associated with life-changes following the diagnosis of a covered critical illness. In addition, The Standard provides a cash benefit for specified health screenings.
Critical Illness insurance is an affordable way to make up the difference between what your medical insurance covers and what you'd owe out of pocket if you or a family member were to be diagnosed with a covered critical illness.
You may be eligible to purchase coverage between $5,000 and $50,000 in $5,000 increments for yourself and up to $30,000 for your spouse. Your kids are automatically covered at 50 percent of the amount elected for yourself. Kids are also covered for 21 additional childhood diseases, including cystic fibrosis, Down's syndrome, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and cerebral palsy. Your rates will not increase as you grow older — meaning you'll have the same monthly payment for as long as you have your coverage.
- For More Information, visit The Standard. or call or call 800-378-5745
- Also refer to the Critical Illness Benefit Guide for more information.
- Eligible employees must enroll in the plan(s) within 60 calendar days of employment (or re-employment, if there has been a break of service of more than 30 calendar days) for guaranteed issue coverage of up to $20,000 for themselves and $10,000 for their spouse or registered domestic partner.
- If elected more than 60 days from employment, enrollee will be subject to evidence of insurability.
- Premiums are based on the amount of insurance requested and the covered individual's age when enrolling.
- You and/or your partner must be enrolled in a health insurance plan and be between the ages of 18 – 64 in order to enroll in this plan.
- The plan provides a cash benefit for specified health screenings.
- After a waiting period, a lump-sum benefit is payable upon initial diagnosis of covered illness, including: cancer, heart attack, stroke, major organ transplant, end-stage renal failure.
- If there is a discrepancy between this information and the official plan documents and contracts, the official documents will always govern.
It's Easy to Enroll
To apply for Voluntary Life, Voluntary AD&D, Voluntary LTD, Accident, and Critical Illness insurance coverage, simply use one of the options listed below.
- Complete the enrollment at standard.benselect.com/csu. For more information about how to apply for coverage or if you have additional questions including technical assistance, please contact The Standard at 800.378.5745.
- Complete the Enrollment Form and The California State University Payroll Deduction Authorization form and return them to The Standard at the following address.
CSU Benefits Team
Standard Insurance Company
900 SW Fifth Avenue
Portland, OR 97204