CSU Benefits Open Enrollment
September 18 through October 13, 2023
The health and well-being of our employees is important, and we encourage you take this time to ensure your benefits are aligned with your individual and family’s health needs.
The CSU annual Open Enrollment period takes place September 18 through October 13, 2023. The effective date for all changes that are made during the Open Enrollment period will be January 1, 2024. If you don’t want to make any changes to your benefits, you don’t need to do anything. Your current elections will automatically continue, however, if you want to enroll or continue participating in the Health Care or Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts, you must enroll/re-enroll every year.
Take advantage of this annual opportunity to review and update your current benefits for the upcoming year. You can enroll, change or cancel CalPERS health, dental, vision, Flex cash, Dependent Care Reimbursement (DCRA), Health Care Reimbursement (HCRA) or voluntary benefits plans.
Health Benefit Fairs
Friday, September 29th from 11am-1pm
Location: Compass Room, Dining Center/Marketplace Building
Explore a wide range of health benefits, from comprehensive insurance plans to voluntary options that fit your unique needs. Get one-on-one consultations with knowledgeable professionals and discover ways to maximize your employee benefits.
No registration required, stop by with a colleague and pick up some fun giveaways!
In addition to the benefits information for Open Enrollment on calstate.edu/openenrollment, a systemwide virtual benefits fair is being offered for all CSU employees. During the fair, you’ll be able to speak with the benefit plan carriers and your campus HR team.
Thursday, September 28th from 11am-2pm on Zoom Events.
What You Need to Review
- Medical/Dental Benefits Enrollment Worksheet - Employees newly enrolling or making changes in health, dental or FlexCash must complete and submit along with the required supporting documents.
- 2024 Open Enrollment Guide
- 2024 Health Plan Rates
- 2024 Dental Plan Information
- 2024 Vision Plan Information
- 2024 Health and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account Form
- CalPERS Health Plans & Rates
- Voluntary Benefits Flyer for Non-Core Eligible Employees
Any questions on Open Enrollment or how to complete the forms can be submitted to HumanResources@csum.edu
Enrollment forms can be dropped off to the Human Resources/Benefits office (Administration Building Room 25) or submitted to Kristen Bautista electronically through the submission link below. Forms will not be accepted after October 13, 2023. For security, do not email forms that contain social security numbers or date of birth.
What’s New For 2024
- Anthem Blue Cross EPO, Kaiser HMO and PERS Platinum PPO employee monthly share will increase for all three tier levels (Employee only, Employee Plus 1 and Employee + 2 or more).
- Anthem Blue Cross Select HMO employee monthly share will decrease for the Employee + 2 or more tier from $226.01 to $40.48.
- Anthem Blue Cross Traditional HMO employee monthly share will decrease on all three
tier levels (Employee only, Employee Plus 1 and Employee + 2 or more).
- The following health plans will remain unchanged or will reduce to zero for employees:
- Anthem Blue Cross Select HMO (Employee only and Employee +1)
- Blue Shield Access + and Trio HMO
- HealthNet Salud Y Mas HMO
- PERS Gold PPO
- Sharp HMO
- UnitedHealthcare Alliance and Harmony HMO
- Western Health Advantage HMO
Effective January 1, 2024 voluntary legal insurance benefits will now be provided by ARAG®. (If prompted, use access code 19061CSU) You’ll receive greater legal protection with no loss in coverage at a lower price. ARAG offers you access to local network attorneys who can help you address life’s legal situations.
Plus, network attorney fees are 100% paid in full for most covered matters. ARAG legal plan coverage can only be enrolled in during Open Enrollment.
Effective January 1, 2024, HealthNet Smart Care will no longer be an available health plan to CSU employees. Employees who are enrolled in this plan will need to elect a different health plan coverage during Open Enrollment.
Employees currently enrolled in HealthNet Smart Care will be administratively transferred to Blue Shield Access+ effective January 1, 2024 if they don’t make a plan change (except Napa County members.) Members in Napa County will be transferred to Western Health Advantage.
- Blue Shield Access+ EPO plan expands into Del Norte and San Benito counties.
- UnitedHealthcare Harmony HMO plan expands into Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties.
- You will receive new health plan ID cards if you change your health plan or enroll for the first time.
- If you change plans during Open Enrollment and you do not see the correct deduction applied by your February pay warrant, contact the Department of Human Resources.
- If you change your health plans, do not continue using your previous health plan after December 31, 2023.
Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA) are administered by ASIFlex and require annual re-enrollment for 2024, regardless of participation in 2023.
Voluntary Benefits Plans
Additional information regarding each of the voluntary benefit plans and how to enroll can be found on the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal. Links to the vendor sites are provided below.
Plan Vendor and Website Link
Customer Service #
The Chancellor’s Office is the benefits administrator for all retiree benefits. During Open Enrollment and throughout the year CSU retirees can access health, dental, and vision information online by going to CSU Retirees website. Questions should be directed to CSU Systemwide Benefits office at (562) 951-4411.