Long Term Care
CalPERS Long-Term Care Program
Long-term care refers to the services provided to people who have difficulty managing the activities of daily living due to illness, injury, disability, cognitive disorder or aging. People of all ages require long-term care for a variety of reasons. From accidents to strokes, health-related impairments can change everything.
CalPERS Long-Term Care Coverage Offers Flexibility and Control
CalPERS comprehensive plans allow you to design coverage that best meets your personal needs:
- Plans tailored to different needs and budgets
- Affordable options to keep up with the rising costs of receiving long-term care
- Benefits designed to help cover the cost of receiving long-term care at home
- Limited benefits that are available if you need care outside the United States
- A marital discount that is available when both spouses or eligible domestic partners apply and at least one is approved
CalPERS Long-Term Care coverage is designed for current California public employees, retirees, their spouses, parents, parent-in-law, adult children and adult siblings, between the ages of 18 -79.
California public employees include, but are not limited to, those employed by the state departments, state Assembly and Senate, judicial systems, school districts, cities, counties, special districts, public universities and community colleges. To maintain the tax-qualified status of the program, eligibility has not yet been extended to domestic partners. This relationship is pending change to IRC Title 26, section 7702B Z(f)(2).
You do not need to participate in CalPERS retirement or health benefit programs to be eligible. Eligible family members may apply to the CalPERS Long-Term Care Program even if the public employee or retiree that makes them eligible does not apply for coverage or is not approved for coverage.
Applicants must pass underwriting in order to be approved for coverage. If you have questions about eligibility, please call our long-term specialists at (800) 908-9119.
How Do I Apply?
Obtain a CalPERS Long-Term Care application kit by:
- Visiting the CalPERS Long Term Care Program
- Calling a long term care specialist at (800) 908-9119
- They will also be able to answer any questions about eligibility.
Long Term Care Open Application Video
Please watch the Long Term Care Open Application video as the CalPERS Deputy Executive Officer for Benefit Programs Policy and Planning, discusses the open application process for the revitalized CalPERS Long-Term Care program. Testimonials are included from members who have experience with Long-Term Care insurance.