Separation Process


When resigning from employment with the university, the employee should submit written notification to the department administrator with the reasons and effective date of resignation. Employees are expected to provide at least two weeks' notice.

Under provisions of the State Administrative Manual (SAM) Sections 8580.4, 8595, and 8116.1, each full or part-time employee separating from CSU Maritime Academy must obtain clearance from all financial obligations and state-owned items.



When retiring from the university, the employee should consult with the Department of Human Resources and submit an Intent to Retire letter with the effective date of retirement.

Clearance Procedures - Responsibility of the Separating Employee

The separating employee is responsible for working with the department/manager or dean's office regarding a written notification of separation including the separation date. 

The employee must complete a Campus Clearance Form and be prepared to return any University property. The department representative will sign the form to certify the returned property. Examples of University property include:

  • Permanent parking decal
  • Cell phone
  • Keys/fob
  • State property such as laptops or other checked out equipment
  • Return Library material
  • Pro card


Management Personnel (MPP's) or employees leaving designated positions such as those who hold a procurement card MUST file a Leaving Office Statement. Please click here for more information on this process.

Ensure that all absences have been recorded in Absence Management or fill out a paper timesheet and submit to Payroll with signatures at least three days prior to last day on campus.

Confirm that your address is current with the University to ensure W-2 and benefit forms are mailed to the correct place. You can visit the Department of Human Resources to review your personal data for accuracy.

Visit the Department of Human Resources Benefits websitefor important information regarding your benefits upon separating from the University.

Be sure that your phone and email outgoing messages reflect that you are leaving and who to contact in your place.

Deferring Settlement Pay

When you leave employment, you may transfer your separation pay to your 401(k), 457 or 403(b) account(s). Transfer up to the contribution limit to each account, minus what you already contributed for the year. Taxes are deferred until you withdraw the money from your account.

If you separate on or after November 1st, you may transfer your separation pay for the current and following tax year, up to the annual limits.

To make the transfer, you will need to submit a written request to the Department of Human Resources at least 30 Calendar days before your final day of employment. You must be enrolled in the deferral account(s) at least one pay period before your separation date.


Going to another public employer?

As a member of CalPERS you may be eligible for the benefits of reciprocity. Reciprocity is an agreement among public retirement systems to allow members to move from one public employer to another public employer within a specific time limit without losing valuable retirement and related benefit rights.

Detailed information about establishing reciprocity can be found in the CalPERS publication "When You Change Retirement Systems" (PERS-PUB-16) available online at the CalPERS Forms and Publications Center.

Note: State Service credits and some leave balances may be transferable to the appointing authority of the new position. Please contact your new Human Resources office for more information. If the balances are transferable, please have your new agency submit an Employee Transfer Data form (std. 612) to CSU Maritime Academy for processing.

PST (Part-Time/Seasonal/Temp) Retirement Account

When you separate from State Service and have participated in the PST retirement account:

  • You are eligible to withdraw your full account balance 90 days after the last transaction posts into or our of your account.
  • Information about your payment options is online at or by calling (855) 616-4776


Clearance Procedure - Department Responsibilities 

Once the Manager or the Department has been notified of an employee's separation, it is important to follow the below steps to keep the Campus in compliance with Federal and State rules.

  • At least three days prior to last day on campus, Employee must report all time worked if applicable and all absences via Absence Management or paper timesheet. Managers must approve all time submitted.
  • At the appropriate time before the employee leaves campus, inform the employee that they must complete a Campus Clearance Clearance Form to ensure that all items have been turned in or cleared and brought to Payroll for final checkout.
  • If the employee is retiring, please contact the Division Executive Assistant as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made for the employee's chair. 


Department Responsibility for Involuntary Termination or Dismissal

  • A dismissal is an involuntary termination of employment from the University. Please contact the Department of Human Resources for process guidance.



Campus Clearance Form

CalPERS Separation/Disposition of CalPERS Contributions

Cancel Direct Deposit

Employee Action Request Form - Address Update