The SSA establishes a Medicare Part B premium amount annually. Each month you must pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium to the SSA to remain enrolled in Part B. If you receive SSA benefits, the Part B premium will be deducted from your SSA benefits; otherwise, the SSA will bill you quarterly.

The standard Part B premium amount applies to most people; however, you may pay an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) if your modified adjusted gross income reported on your IRS tax return is above a certain amount.

Once you're enrolled in a CalPERS Medicare health plan, you must continue to pay the SSA for Part B and maintain enrollment in Part B to remain enrolled in the CalPERS health program.

If you're Medicare eligible and terminated from Medicare Part B by CMS, you'll be disenrolled from a CalPERS Medicare health plan and you may not be enrolled in a CalPERS Basic (non-Medicare) health plan; therefore, you may lose your CalPERS health coverage.

If you're terminated from Medicare Part B, you must contact CalPERS immediately to resolve any enrollment issues and overpayments for Medicare Part B reimbursements.

Medicare Resources

Medicare Enrollment Periods

Requirements to Continue CalPERS Coverage

Certifying Medicare Status

Ineligible for Medicare

Deferred Enrollment in Medicare Part B

Cancellation of CalPERS Health Coverage

Medicare Part B Premiums

Late Enrollment Penalty

Reimbursement of Premiums

Transitioning to a Medicare Health Plan

Enrolling through a Spouse Under 65

Medicare Part D and CalPERS Medicare Health Plans

Medicare Requirements Impacting your CalPERS Health Coverage

Optional Benefits for CalPERS Contracting Agencies

Special Enrollment