State & CSU

If you're a state or California State University (CSU) retiree (some exceptions apply), you may be eligible for a reimbursement of all or part of your Medicare Part B premium. If you're eligible for a Part B reimbursement, the amount is limited to the difference between your employer contribution and the cost of your plan's premium, up to the amount of the standard Part B premium. Your reimbursement will be automatically calculated and will appear on your retirement warrant as a credit.

Each year when the federal government announces the standard Part B premium, CalPERS will reset the standard Part B premium for the new year based on the standard amount established by the federal government. Each year your Part B reimbursement will be adjusted based on the new year's standard Part B premium. If you disagree with the Part B reimbursement, you will need to provide to CalPERS supporting documentation from the SSA that confirms the amount that you pay for the standard Part B premium (not including any late enrollment penalties, fees, or interest). CalPERS will review the SSA documentation to make a determination of the correct Part B reimbursement.

If you're terminated from Medicare Part B and no longer paying Part B premiums to the SSA, you must contact CalPERS immediately regarding your termination. If you receive reimbursement for Part B premiums on your retirement warrant for months that you did not pay Part B premiums to the SSA, CalPERS will invoice you for the overpayment of Medicare Part B reimbursements.


Public Agency

California law does not provide for reimbursement of Medicare Part B premiums for retirees of contracting public agencies. If you're retired from a contracting public agency, you may contact your former employer to ask if this benefit is provided to you.


Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA)

If you're paying an increased Medicare Part B premium (IRMAA) due to your income level, send a copy of the entire Social Security notice showing your increased Medicare Part B premium. If there are funds available, you'll see an increased reimbursement credit on your retirement warrant. Send the copy of your notice to:

CalPERS Health Account Management Division
Attention: Medicare Administration
P.O. Box 942715
Sacramento, CA 94229-2715

If you pay an IRMAA for Part B, you may also pay an IRMAA for Part D. California law does not provide for reimbursement of Medicare Part D premiums.


Medicare Resources

Medicare Enrollment Periods
Requirements to Continue CalPERS Coverage
Certifying Medicare Status
Ineligible for Medicare
Deferred Enrollment in Medicare Part B
Cancellation of CalPERS Health Coverage
Medicare Part B Premiums
Late Enrollment Penalty
Reimbursement of Premiums
Transitioning to a Medicare Health Plan
Enrolling through a Spouse Under 65
Medicare Part D and CalPERS Medicare Health Plans
Medicare Requirements Impacting your CalPERS Health Coverage
Optional Benefits for CalPERS Contracting Agencies
Special Enrollment